PDA

View Full Version : flickr image upload resolution?

t0p
October 19th, 2010, 12:16 AM
What's the best resolution to use when uploading images to flickr, so the pics look okay online but I don't have to use a bucket-load of bandwidth uploading them?

Schrute Farms
October 19th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I guess it all depends on how much a bucket-load is.:)

With a free account, the largest picture they will display is 1024 pixels on the long side, so if your pictures are larger than that, then shrink them to that size. If you upload larger photos, they will automatically get resized to that, so you would be wasting bandwidth. And if you make your pics smaller, they will also get resized when you choose that option when viewing, so they could look dodgy.

A pro account will allow you to post any size, so again, it depends on how much bandwidth is too much.

mendhak
October 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
At the very least - 640*425 so that it appears at the 'normal' size on the page it's displayed on. When someone goes into the all-sizes page, they won't see sizes larger than that.

t0p
October 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I just installed 10.04, which doesn't include Gimp.

What app should I use to resize my photos? F-Spot has a "crop" option, but no resize. Eye Of Gnome also appears to have very little in the way of image editing.

Do I really need to install something else in order to do a simple resize?

Schrute Farms
October 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Just install GIMP. It's in the repositories. You can use the Ubuntu software center, synaptic, or you can simply type 'sudo apt-get install gimp' in a terminal and it will install it for you.

t0p
October 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Just install GIMP. It's in the repositories. You can use the Ubuntu software center, synaptic, or you can simply type 'sudo apt-get install gimp' in a terminal and it will install it for you.

I know I can just install Gimp. I'm just kinda shocked that there isn't a tool already installed that can do a simple task like resizing an image. 10.04 has an image viewer, and a basic image editor... so basic that it can't resize. It'll rotate, crop, reduce red-eye, even desaturate... but not resize.

Whoever decides which apps get on the cd and which don't needs to reevaluate his priorities or pass the torch to someone else.