PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Shortcut doesn't launch application

Baneblade
October 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I've created a shortcut for minecraft.jar on my top bar and pointed it to the correct file. This shortcut does not launch the application as expected though.

The minecraft.jar itself has the correct permissions and is set as executable. Set to open with Sun Java 6. When using the .jar directly it works as expected, but why can't I create a shortcut to launch it?

3Miro
October 19th, 2010, 02:49 AM
When using the .jar directly it works as expected, but why can't I create a shortcut to launch it?

Do you mean when you double-click? When you double-click on a file in the browser, the browser checks to see which progra is associated with this file and envokes it as:

program file

When you enter a command for shortcut, you have to enter it just as you will in the terminal. Basically, you should wirite the command as:

java minecraft.jar

Baneblade
October 19th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Since it is just an executable and not "installed" I would need to specify the path to the file too right?

iv tried editing the shortcut command to these without luck:

java /[path]/ minecraft.jar
/[path]/ java minecraft.jar

3Miro
October 19th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I should have thought about the path, sorry.

You have an extra space in your example:

java /home/your_name/some_folder/minecraft.jar

Run the command in the terminal first, if it runs, then you will know that it works. If not, then you can see an error message.

Baneblade
October 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I ran it in the terminal and go this error:

b3rz3rk3r@Havoc:~$ java /home/b3rz3rk3r/Games/minecraft.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /home/b3rz3rk3r/Games/minecraft/jar
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: .home.b3rz3rk3r.Games.minecraft.jar
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 202)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 07)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 48)
Could not find the main class: /home/b3rz3rk3r/Games/minecraft.jar. Program will exit.

I have the Sun java and dev tools installed rather than the regular open one, since I'm told that can cause issues.

I'm not sure what this error is pointing to though?

3Miro
October 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM
You said that it runs well if you tell it to run from Nautilus. This means that nautilus is not using the java command to run it (or it is using something more complicated). You have to find out what is it that Nautilus is using to ring the programa nd put it in the command line. You can start by selecting the file in nautilus, right-click -> Properties and then look for what is the default applicaiton to opne it. This should give you a clue to what the command that nautilus is running should be.

ankspo71
October 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi,
Have you already tried running it with the 'java -jar' command?

java -jar /home/b3rz3rk3r/Games/minecraft.jar

If this works in the terminal, try editing your shortcut to have the same command.

Hope this helps.

Baneblade
October 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hi,
Have you already tried running it with the 'java -jar' command?

java -jar /home/b3rz3rk3r/Games/minecraft.jar

If this works in the terminal, try editing your shortcut to have the same command.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Ankspo.. that "-jar" flag did the trick!
Working perfectly now.

Thanks for helping me get this sorted guys :)

I8NY
October 22nd, 2010, 12:49 AM
I know i'm a little late to comment on this but there is better way of running minecraft with suggested command from the website.
java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp /home/username/Games/Minecraft/Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrameIt is not necessary but will stop RAM problems if there are any. To get the icon you can find it in the jar file if you open it up with the archive manager.

Baneblade
October 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks I8NY, that's a good tip.
I'll keep it in mind if I have problems.

Subidubi32
October 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I know, this is an old thread, but I can't run my minecraft from my shortcut. I have the shortcut on my upper panel, I tried use the "java -jar /home/downloads/Minecraft.jar" command, but it doesn't do anything. The application starts normally if I run it directly, but it doesn't with the shortcut. I have the latest sun java installed, and it starts with it by default. I have tried the complicated command for the memory problems too, but it didn't helped me out eighter.

Baneblade
October 11th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Just reboot your machine and try it again. I've had that problem before as well.