PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transistioning from Windows to Ubuntu

firefoxtamer
October 18th, 2010, 10:37 PM
This is my first time posting to the forum here and I am not even sure if I am posting in the right spot or not. Please forgive me if I am not. I am in the process of writing a book that helps transition Windows users into the world of Linux and Ubuntu. Most of the stuff that I have seen on various forums around the world is pretty much just flaming users of the Windows operating system, and telling them that they are inferior. While in my opinion Ubuntu is a superior operating system, I do not feel it is right, or decent to belittle and curse someone out just because they like something different. I feel like an educational guide is in order. Something that would help users of other operating systems make a more educated and wiser transition to Linux and to Ubuntu. I have begun writing a comprehensive guide to do just that. Being a former Windows user myself I know how intimidating ones first experiences with Linux can be (I think almost every user here used Windows prior to Linux or Ubuntu.) My goal is to educate them, and teach users how to use their new operating system without being flamed or taunted on message boards for simply asking a "noob" question which almost everyone of us has been at one time or another. So far I have gotten roughly 20 pages completed in the manual and will probably have a little over 200 by the end of the document. What I am looking for is feedback on the document. To see if it would be easy to follow for a recent Linux convert. I have included a download link (for the PDF file) in this post as well. I appreciate all user input. Thank you for your time.

Download PDF
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OC9LYDQE
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YEZZJHM7)

oldfred
October 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the forums.

But I do not think we have many flames here. Some questions get answered better/quicker than others depending on how well the new user can explain his/her problem, which for new users can be an issue.

Your original assumption of complete conversion seems to me to be a little too soon. I still dual boot XP as I have one application that I still use in windows. My wife had issues with Ubuntu until I got firefox & thunderbird profiles to be the same, so I could learn Ubuntu without her wanting to check mail or internet and having to immediately reboot to windows. Now we are almost always in Ubuntu.

You also seem to gloss over manual partitioning. Partitioning seems to be a big problem for most users. Windows does not help in calling partitions drives so many users think they have multiple drives (D: drive) when they only have another partition.

Some early issues with grub2 seem to also be scaring new users. They want to use windows to boot. But grub2 works very well in most cases and reinstalling a boot loader is not that difficult.

You mention backups, which users must have but I also like to have more than one way to boot. I use liveCD from several repair linux and also have USB boot capability of those system repair CDs.

firefoxtamer
October 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Thank you for your input. I personally do not dual boot (as I use Ubuntu exclusively) but advanced partitioning can be thrown in the document as well as basic partitioning. I always found dual booting a hassle - as I thought it unnecessary to have dual operating systems.) However, I do recognize that everybody has specific needs - and some may wish to hold on to their Windows for other reasons. Also going to be included in the manual is OS virtualization that will allow a user to run Windows from within their existing Ubuntu installation. I appreciate you taking the time to read what I have so far. I know it's a long road until this project reaches completion - but I think it is something that users of Windows would enjoy to have around as a handy reference. I will add the partitioning in the document as well (as I do see a need for that too.) And as for the flaming, I have never been flamed on this forum - but on a few others I have, as that is why I do not usually post on message boards now. However, I hope this message board is different from the rest. I look forward to any and all instructive ideals. Thank you!

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 19th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I would recommend that you include some warnings about loosing data, wiping Windows, etc. Use some kind of warning symbol like the attached.

Unless I missed it, I also noticed there was no discussion on the length of time a release is supported. For example, no mention that LTS releases are supported for 3 years. That can be significant to someone switching to Linux.

firefoxtamer
October 19th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I like the attached icon you gave to me. Looks like those "Complete Idiots Guide!" Those are very comprehensive as well! You are right I should discuss the loss of data in there. This is why I posted the rough draft. I need any and all ideas, the more the better! Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have created a mock up of an icon standard and attached it to this post. I will add more icons as time goes on, but all in all - I think I am making a great start on this guide.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2cn8rur.png