PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is it safe to erase Windows from a laptop?

halsqui
October 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Stupid question time, but just to make sure (I really don't know anything about hardware):

If Ubuntu LiveCD (or a dual-boot) works on a laptop, is it safe to completely erase Windows from the harddrive - including the hidden partition?

Thanks,
halsqui

coffeecat
October 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
If you are completely, absolutely, 101% sure you don't ever want Windows on that machine again, then go ahead. BUT - I would do a dual-boot install and run Ubuntu off the hard drive for at least a few weeks before committing myself. You cannot be sure you've checked everything in the live session.

Also - you've paid the Microsoft tax. You're entitled to use Windows on that laptop. You cannot really be sure what needs you might have in the future. Personally, I would keep the hidden partition (I presume that's a system recovery partition) just in case. And have you made backup DVDs with whatever utility came with the laptop? That would be a good insurance policy.

Out of interest, what laptop - make and model - is it?

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM
If you are completely, absolutely, 101% sure you don't ever want Windows on that machine again, then go ahead. BUT - I would do a dual-boot install and run Ubuntu off the hard drive for at least a few weeks before committing myself. You cannot be sure you've checked everything in the live session.

Also - you've paid the Microsoft tax. You're entitled to use Windows on that laptop. You cannot really be sure what needs you might have in the future. Personally, I would keep the hidden partition (I presume that's a system recovery partition) just in case. And have you made backup DVDs with whatever utility came with the laptop? That would be a good insurance policy.

Out of interest, what laptop - make and model - is it?

^ +1 on that advice.

You may also need Windows if you need to send your laptop in to be repaired. Some laptop manufactures will not or can not repair a laptop without the Windows OS installed.

lisati
October 19th, 2010, 12:12 AM
From the perspective of running Ubuntu, I don't anticipate a problem but:

You cannot really be sure what needs you might have in the future. Personally, I would keep the hidden partition (I presume that's a system recovery partition) just in case. And have you made backup DVDs with whatever utility came with the laptop? That would be a good insurance policy.

^ +1 on that advice.

You may also need Windows if you need to send your laptop in to be repaired.

+10 to both the above.

EricLorenz
October 19th, 2010, 01:03 AM
There would be some that would say it is not only safe, but encouraged. :-)

I agree with everything said so far. Now the other way you can do it is to do a clean install of Ubuntu, and install something like Oracle's VirtualBox and run Windows in that as a Virtual Machine. I have done that for over 1-1/2 yrs now, and minus a hitch here and there, it has met all my needs. YMMV.

Eric

Stupid question time, but just to make sure (I really don't know anything about hardware):

If Ubuntu LiveCD (or a dual-boot) works on a laptop, is it safe to completely erase Windows from the harddrive - including the hidden partition?

Thanks,
halsqui

blueabysm
October 19th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Make sure that you don't need your Windows and other files any more, then you can just erase your whole disk without any harm to your hardware.

NOTE: If you erase your whole disk, all files on this disk are gone! Make sure that you don't need them before your erasing!

+1 on all of the advices above :)

halsqui
October 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
It's an IBM R51 that I've had for five years and haven't used XP in two, so I'm pretty sure I don't need it anymore and I've had plenty of joy for the MS tax :) It's a dual-boot, so do I use GParted to erase Windows and resize the Ubuntu partition?

I also have another laptop, a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo with Vista, but I don't know what to do with that one.

Thanks for all the replies!
halsqui

ThatBum
October 19th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Well, if you really need some proprietary Windows software to work on it, if you have some obscure piece of hardware doesn't work in Linux yet, or you want to game on it, then I would hold off on killing windows. Otherwise, I don't see why not. Except, as others have said, you may need Windows on it if it ever needs to be serviced. Or you could fix it yourself if need be, but you said you don't know hardware. Still, best to keep the recovery partition or make a boot CD/DVD/USB stick/whatever.

TNT1
October 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM

Thanks,
halsqui

I have done exactly that on several laptops.