PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtualization and Dual Booting

PorteroO
October 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hello!

Recently i installed ubuntu using wubi and so far i have been impressed. I quickly filled up the small size i allocated for the ubuntu installation in wubi and now find myself in quite a predicament.

I was thinking of performing a clean install of ubuntu and removing the existing windows installation. Rather than dual booting, i was using virtual box to run a windows xp machine so that i could use common windows applications. However, i was having some problems running some applications in the virtual box.

I was wondering if it was possible to install ubuntu and windows on the same hardrive with the ability to boot into either/or, but also be able to run the same windows installation inside a virtualization program in ubuntu? The majority of the windows programs worked fine in the virtual box, but some of the applications didnt. Is there any software out there that can do this?

I hope this makes sense

snowpine
October 18th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I do not think this is possible, unfortunately. Microsoft requires you to purchase two separate Windows licenses in this instance: one for the physical machine, and one for the virtual machine.

PorteroO
October 18th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I do not think this is possible, unfortunately. Microsoft requires you to purchase two separate Windows licenses in this instance: one for the physical machine, and one for the virtual machine.

Even though both would be the same machine? Seriously? Damn

snowpine
October 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Even though both would be the same machine? Seriously? Damn

They are not "the same machine;" one is physical and one is virtual. Furthermore, if you want to run several virtual Windows machines on the same computer, you will need a license for each. Microsoft did not get rich by giving it away for free...