PDA

View Full Version : Weird RAW sockets and iptables issue…

skypemesm
October 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here is my question:
I am trying to redirect all incoming traffic on UDP port 5060 to port 56790, and all outgoing traffic from 5060 to the port 56789. I used these iptables rules:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p udp ! -s localhost --dport 5060 -j REDIRECT --to-port 56790
iptables -t nat -I OUTPUT -p udp ! -s localhost --sport 5060 -j REDIRECT --to-port 56789

I listen on both ports using RAW SOCKETS after setting the interface to PROMISCUOUS mode using ioctl.

I see packets ONLY on 56789 i.e.SENDING side, and I do not see any packets on 56790, while wireshark shows that many packets are delivered to port 5060.

Why would this happen? Any ideas? Do you think it's a problem with iptables rules or something to do with raw sockets?

dwhitney67
October 18th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I've never played with iptables until today; thanks for the crash course. :-)

As for the issue you are experiencing, I could not duplicate it. I substituted the port numbers you were using for the PREROUTING with my own... 9123 -> 12345.

I ran a UDP receiver application that opens a raw socket (PF_INET and SOCK_RAW), and binds port 12345 on the localhost.

I then ran another app, a UDP raw-socket sender that sent a packet to port 9123 on the localhost. This packet was received by the receiver application (ie the one expecting to receive on port 12345).

Thus, I would suspect that you have an issue with your application, not so much with the iptable setup.

skypemesm
October 19th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. I verified it again in the exact same way as you did. sender on port 9000, two receivers one on 9123 and another on 12345.

But the messages still arrive on the app on 9123, instead of 12345.

This is ubuntu 10.04 and iptables v1.4.4

Any suggestions?

skypemesm
October 19th, 2010, 06:38 AM
This happens for the two ubuntu 10.04 machines :( What am I doing wrong?

dwhitney67
October 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I run the same OS as you do, on a 32-bit system. I don't think this matters much.

When you setup the iptables, did you do so as root (or using sudo)? Sorry, I have to ask. Were there any errors?

As for your UDP apps, are these indeed using "raw" sockets? A lot of newbies confuse BSD with "Raw" in the context of discussing Sockets. (Note, this should not really matter).

If you are indeed running an application that utilizes raw sockets (ie setup with SOCK_RAW), then you would need to launch those applications as root (or using sudo) as well.

If you have covered all of the bases mentioned above, then the next step is to examine the application, because otherwise, I haven't a freakin' clue what could be wrong in your "universe". As I stated earlier, the test case you presented works just fine for me.

P.S. Run the following command to verify your iptables setup:

sudo iptables -t nat --list

skypemesm
October 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for replying again.
This time I used DGRAM sockets with result the same. I sudo-ed all the commands and never got any errors while installing iptables, and am running this on an AMD 64-bit system.

Output of rules list:

root@ubuntu:~# iptables -L -t nat
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
REDIRECT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:56789 redir ports 56790

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

dwhitney67
October 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Output of rules list:

root@ubuntu:~# iptables -L -t nat
REDIRECT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:56789 redir ports 56790

The output above does not jive with what you stated earlier in your opening post.

I would have expected your output to look like:

REDIRECT udp -- !localhost anywhere udp dpt:5060 redir ports 56790

REDIRECT udp -- !localhost anywhere udp spt:5060 redir ports 56789

skypemesm
October 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Yes this output is when I was considering only the incoming rule and redirection for 56789 -> 56790 (similar to your test),
with a sender application sending packets to 56789. Two receiver apps one on 56789 and another 56790 are present. All these are running on the same machine.

If the rule worked fine, the packets would have been received by 56790. Instead I get the packets on 56789 itself i.e. redirection rule is not working. :(