PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] TV HD as monitor

rohrbach
October 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
have a computer with graphic card Nvidia GeForce 6600 connected to HD TV, who reported resolution of 1900x1200 but this resolution is actually slightly smaller, ie 1810x990. Unfortunately, both Ubuntu Live and installed on the disk and read in 1900x1200. But in graphic setup can not be set nothing in between 1900x1200 and 1400x1024. Is there a solutiond? please need help

srs5694
October 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
That's probably TV overscan, not actually a different resolution. How is the computer hooked up to the TV? (That is, what type of cable -- VGA, HDMI, etc.?) On my TV, I found that VGA actually worked better than an HDMI/DVI cable, in part for this reason -- there's overscan that can't be disabled when using the HDMI/DVI cable.

rohrbach
October 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
That's probably TV overscan, not actually a different resolution. How is the computer hooked up to the TV? (That is, what type of cable -- VGA, HDMI, etc.?) On my TV, I found that VGA actually worked better than an HDMI/DVI cable, in part for this reason -- there's overscan that can't be disabled when using the HDMI/DVI cable.

I am not sure of this overscaning. In fact I can't see full size of Desktop but only part - without borders panel etc. I have HDMI connection

srs5694
October 19th, 2010, 01:46 AM
That's what overscan is: The TV shows less of the video image than it's fed. See the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan) for more information.

Try using a VGA connection rather than HDMI, if your TV supports VGA inputs.