PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] System tray weirdness in 10.04 -> 10.10 upgrade

axl256
October 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hey Guys,

I don't know if it's meant to be like this in the new KDE but:
1) the icons in the system tray seem to be largely black and white wireframes. They also don't "light up" when you hover on them. Is this a theme that can be changed or is this it? Seems a big step back to me.
2) kopete's system tray icon doesn't work at all. I've gone into it's settings and toggled the "show in system tray" option on and off but it's made no difference
3) Just noticed, when mousing over the sys tray icons and getting the tool tip, the original colourful icons are shown. This is especially confusing for things like klipper where the new black and white icon is totally different (a pair of scissors) compared to the original colour one (a clipboard)

Apart from these things, 10.10 seems pretty good. But the system tray seems to have taken a real backwards step :\

McNils
October 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
There is a thread about the new icons at http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=90106

I like the new icons.

The kopete icon was missing for me as well. I don't know what I did but after a while it was back.

axl256
October 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the reply McNils.

It's good to know it's not just me. I guess it is personal preference. What is interesting about that thread is that there seems to be a method to the b/w & colour divide, but as a user (and a techy one at that):
1) I had no idea, I couldn't have deduced that myself
2) I don't think it helps, it makes the system look messy and inconsistent (even if there is consistency in the divide, graphically speaking I think it looks messy)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply and giving me that link.