PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After running nautilus as root, strange rights-problem

night-wing
October 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi.

In maverick, I made a menu shortcut to be able to run nautilus as root (gksu nautilus), when I need to (for example, to clean the /var/apt/archives or anything like that).
When I used this in intrepid, karmic or lucid, this worked fine.

In maverick, when I do so, I always afterwards have the gnome desktop of root and still the rights of root outside nautilus. I have to logoff and re-login as my user to see my personal background and gnome environment again.

Can someone give me a hint, how to fix this bug?

Regards
nightwing

mister_playboy
October 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I noticed there is a key icon in the notification area that mentions "drop all elevated privileges". Does that display as root? What happens if you use it?

night-wing
October 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Where did you notice this icon? I did never notice such a key?

ankspo71
October 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Hi,
I'm not having the same problem so I don't know if this will work, but try making a shortcut with one of these commands to see if it helps:

gksudo nautilus & exit
gksudo "nautilus --no-desktop"
gksudo "nautilus --no-desktop" & exit
They all launch nautilus on my Ubuntu as gksudo. The "--no-desktop" option is there to help prevent root's nautilus from displaying root's desktop. Exit is there to tell gksudo to exit when the command is completed. (exit is what I use when I want to exit sudo -s in the terminal like this):

james@Ubuntu:~$ sudo -s
root@Ubuntu:~# exit
exit
james@Ubuntu:~$

If you are looking for an easy way to free up some space, you can install bleachbit, a nice system cleaner that also cleans away those downloaded deb packages in /var/apt/archives. It is in Synaptic or Software Center. Here's the list of cleaning features: http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/features. Last month after I upgraded Lucid to Maverick, I saw it remove roughly 3gb of unneeded clutter. Normally after a fresh install of Ubuntu I see it clean about 1gb.

Hope this helps.

night-wing
October 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
gksudo "nautilus --no-desktop"

That helped!
Thank you very much!