PDA

View Full Version : MS planning half-billion dollar marketing campaign for WIndows Phone 7

Sporkman
October 18th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Redmond’s plans for its phone rollout will reportedly involve more than $400 million in marketing dollars. And Kinect, a motion-sensor add-on for the Xbox, will be a half-billion project, says the New York Post’s Claire Atkinson. Here’s where some of that money will get spent:

* Burger King promotion
* Pepsi promotion
* Kellogg’s cereal promotion
* YouTube home page takeover
* Ad buys on Nickelodeon, Disney sites
* Ad buys on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars” and Fox’s “Glee”
* Ad buys on Time Inc.’s People and InStyle
* Times Square event

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20101018/microsofts-billion-dollar-media-bailout-plan/

Paul820
October 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM
They can spend all the money they want but i still won't buy a Kinect. Prancing around in front of the tv is not for me. If i wanted to do that i would have bought a WII years ago.

jfreak_
October 18th, 2010, 01:57 PM
they'll need all the promotion they can get.

alexan
October 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Low level marketing is what's all about Microsoft.

Their product don't need to be good or reliable... they only need it look as normal (or common).
All the job of fixing, patching, upgrading improving is in the cowardly third party hardware manufacturer hands.

samalex
October 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Microsoft has had a mobile OS for years, but I think it's too late for them to start getting really serious about it. I've ran Windows CE and Windows Mobile devices, and none ever matched-up to their competition. If Windows Phone 7 would've come out before or at the same time as Android to compete with Apple they could've possibly cornered the market, but now with iOS and Android blowing away all competition, including RIM who's core base is mobile computing, I just don't think MS has a chance no matter how much marketing capital they put behind it.

I'm eager to check out Windows Phone 7 to see what it has to offer, but this late in the game I can't imagine they've added anything iOS or Android doesn't already have. At this point most of the selling points could be played as being copied from other current mobile operating systems with on originality.

pwnst*r
October 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM
They can spend all the money they want but i still won't buy a Kinect. Prancing around in front of the tv is not for me. If i wanted to do that i would have bought a WII years ago.

What?

whiskeylover
October 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM

1. Kinect != Windows Phone
2. Wii is a lot of fun if you have friends.

Paul820
October 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
@ pwnst*r

What?

and

@whiskeylover

Kinect != Windows Phone

Did you even read what was posted? I'll post it here then, so you can read it again, i even highlighted the word 'Kinect' so you can find it easier. :P

Redmond’s plans for its phone rollout will reportedly involve more than $400 million in marketing dollars. And Kinect, a motion-sensor add-on for the Xbox, will be a half-billion project, says the New York Post’s Claire Atkinson. Here’s where some of that money will get spent:

whiskeylover
October 18th, 2010, 04:00 PM
@ pwnst*r

and

@whiskeylover

Did you even read what was posted? I'll post it here then, so you can read it again, i even highlighted the word 'Kinect' so you can find it easier. :P

Heh, sorry, I blame it on Monday.

But you're still wrong about Wii being boring.

pwnst*r
October 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
@ pwnst*r

and

@whiskeylover

Yep, but the thread is discussion for Winphone 7 as was the OP's intent.

Paul820
October 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
But you're still wrong about Wii being boring.

Aaah, now, come on, i never said the Wii was boring. I said

Prancing around in front of a tv is not for me

Stop putting words in my mouth :P

Paul820
October 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Yep, but the thread is discussion for Winphone 7 as was the OP's intent.

But it mentioned Kinect as part of the advertising campaign. I have no interest in buying a Windows phone but i do own an Xbox360, so i commented on that. If it never said anything about a Kinect i wouldn't have commented, but as it happens, it did say something. Seeing as the advertising campaign is about both, i commented on the one relevant to me.

whiskeylover
October 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Stop putting words in my mouth :P

But then I'd be violating Skitt's law (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6408927/Internet-rules-and-laws-the-top-10-from-Godwin-to-Poe.html) of the internet

WRDN
October 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
As others have noted earlier in this thread, the amount of money Microsoft throws at Windows Phone 7 marketing is irrelevant.
Android and iOS devices already own this area, so it will be difficult for others to enter it.

More important than the current smart phone market however, is the users "image".
Android and iOS devices are considered "cool" by todays public. Despite Android being based on Linux, it is not called LINUX - Linux is considered uncool by the masses, an operating system for the nerds.

If Microsoft had given an alternative primary name to Windows Phone 7, I think they would have a much better chance.
The Windows image is NOT cool, therefore the phones will not be nearly as popular as Android or iOS devices.

Just my two cents.

Half-Left
October 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't Microsoft just love to lock-in people with their Windows software with all devices. I don't see this phone catching on anything like Android or iOS devices.

KiwiNZ
October 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Kinect will sell and sell very well, the release is well timed for the holiday season and tie to the refreshed Xbox 360 which incidentally is great, it is silent as in it sits there and you simply cannot hear it , best lounge game consol.

As for the Windows 7 phone , hmmmm they may pick up a slice of the market but I think they are too late Apple , RIM and Android are too strong at best I think they can get 5 to 10 % if that .