PDA

View Full Version : Breathing life into an old machine

Piggah
April 14th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Well, I recently came upon some old junky computers, and the one that works the best is a 500MHz AMD w/ 128 megs of RAM. (I can make it 256, but I would like to use the other 128 meg stick for another machine if I have to.)

I'm not really sure what to do with it. I've had DSL on it running off a live cd, but I don't really like DSL and I feel like I could run a lot more on a 500MHz system.

I figured Ubuntu would be to heavy, and I wanted to try some other distros, but I'm not sure what would work on such a slow computer.

So basically I'm just looking for a good distro for it and maybe some way to make it useful for me. I thought about a media computer, but that really isn't going to benefit me since my parents won't go for that. :P

So, fun stuff to do with an old computer? :D

thanks

NeghVar
April 14th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Try BeatrIX...

www.watsky.net

Or you could try Xubuntu, not sure how much it cuts down on it.

aysiu
April 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Xubuntu should work fine on it:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

I have a 766 MHz 128 MB RAM computer, and even regular Ubuntu works fine on it (well, as long as you don't run more than two programs at once).

3rdalbum
April 14th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I have Ubuntu running on a machine with similar specs - 128 megs, equivilant of 500MHz processor. It runs okay, but not as good as Xubuntu did. (I couldn't tolerate Xubuntu... a bit too inconveniant for me... so I switched back to GNOME). Xu was amazingly fast compared to Ub.