PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Scared off BBC

m4tic
October 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Since last years's post from BBC blogger Rory Cellan-Jones about his 24 hours review of Ubuntu 9.10 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html) the site hasn't posted anything and I mean anything related to Ubuntu. The review is filled/flooded with comments from passionate Linux users who disagree with his opinions, the post took me 2 full minutes to load.

Do you think if the people didn't react so harshly he could've did that follow up review? And do we really care

UPDATE: Came across another post, this time from PCW, basically it states Desktop Linux is dead (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html?tk=hp_new).

amauk
October 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
no, not really

It's very well known that the BBC is choc-full of ex-Microsoft personnel (especially in management positions)

In fact, there's been a few investigations over the years concerning the BBC's relationship with MS, and whether it's impartial in such regards

Grenage
October 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't say 'scared off'; it's much more likely that there's nothing news-worthy to write about. Nothing has changed - Ubuntu is still a niche product used mostly by enthusiasts.

P.S: Android was more likely to have bigger impact. It's not a bad article.

m4tic
October 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
They should thank Ubuntu for giving them free traffic along with a free OS

Swagman
October 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Rory stated that his blogs have never received anything like the amount of replies before he commented on Ubuntu.

We practically melted the server!

So perhaps the BBC are still waiting for the hardware to cool down !!

I would love to read a review from Rory on Maverick Meerkat

m4tic
October 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Rory stated that his blogs have never received anything like the amount of replies before he commented on Ubuntu.

We practically melted the server!

So perhaps the BBC are still waiting for the hardware to cool down !!

I would love to read a review from Rory on Maverick Meerkat

Yeah, even though he lost some readers it be good to show him how much progress Linux has made

alexan
October 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Since last years's post from BBC blogger Rory Cellan-Jones about his 24 hours review of Ubuntu 9.10 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html) the site hasn't posted anything and I mean anything related to Ubuntu. The review is filled/flooded with comments from passionate Linux users who disagree with his opinions, the post took me 2 full minutes to load.

Do you think if the people didn't react so harshly he could've did that follow up review? And do we really care
The mindless idea to think that user and/or enthusiast should be disciplined to adhere certain "ethical rules" of the product.

It happen that Ubuntu and Linux is used by people, and people can be very harsh sometime: nothing you or anyone else can do.

also, BBC should find a system which better deal data, I'd see blog/website with wide more comments per page without any glimpse.
But probably is BBC by itself that set a lower "bandwith ratio" for that page: if that's true.. they (BBC) need a lot more to learn about Internet

Paqman
October 18th, 2010, 01:24 PM
It's not a bad article.

Indeed, his prediction at the end was spot on. Android has gone on to huge success in the last year, and Linux on the desktop hasn't.

It'd be nice to see them follow up with another review at some point down the line, but I don't really think Maverick was noteworthy enough to justify it.

m4tic
October 18th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Indeed, his prediction at the end was spot on. Android has gone on to huge success in the last year, and Linux on the desktop hasn't.

It'd be nice to see them follow up with another review at some point down the line, but I don't really think Maverick was noteworthy enough to justify it.

There need be cool Ubuntu release names, people got excited about XP, Leopard and OS X from just the names alone.

sonicj
October 18th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't limit linux just to enthusiasts. Before android came out, people wanted to port linux to all sorts of devices, even if someone wasn't familiar with linux to an extent, I would wander around message boards and see people talk about how they wish they could run linux on their PsP.Of coruse, at one point you were able to use linux on the Ps3, a lot of "non-techies" installed a copy and messed around with it as well.

kio_http
October 18th, 2010, 01:49 PM
BBC click has mentioned positive things about Ubuntu many times.

rjbl
October 18th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I've yet to meet anyone here in the UK who can see Rory Cellan-Jones on the telly and not collapse giggling helplessly. In North American terms the guy is regarded as a complete klutz, maybe even a schmuck, already.

rjbl

coffeecat
October 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM
There need be cool Ubuntu release names, people got excited about XP, Leopard and OS X from just the names alone.

I know what you mean. I got so excited about Windows 7 just from the name that I came over all faint and had to lie down.

:wink: