PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04: top taskbar icons messed up

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hi,

I have an annoying issue with my ubuntu taskbar's icons. They're always messed up when I switch from my laptop's screen to the external monitor.

Please look at the picture.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172703&stc=1&d=1287387036

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

ardunarda
October 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
what are u using for external monitor twin view or separate X screen

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
what are u using for external monitor twin view or separate X screen

Hi,
It's separate. I mean I only use the external

ardunarda
October 18th, 2010, 10:30 AM
i assume you re using nvidia x server setting. Maybe if bring external monitor resolution to your original resolution it would be solved

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
i assume you re using nvidia x server setting. Maybe if bring external monitor resolution to your original resolution it would be solved

Hi,
No, I'm using intel integrated card.

lspci | egrep [gG]raphic
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
bump for a reply :)

ardunarda
October 18th, 2010, 12:26 PM
u dont have to have nvidia graphic card in order to use nvidia X server settings. I mean my early post there is gui for this purpose in nvidia x server settings and there is option to set resolution for new screen. u can set it your original screen resolution

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM
u dont have to have nvidia graphic card in order to use nvidia X server settings. I mean my early post there is gui for this purpose in nvidia x server settings and there is option to set resolution for new screen. u can set it your original screen resolution

Hi,

Can you tell me more about "original screen resolution"? Ubuntu has a nice tool called Monitor that can detect monitors, change positions and set resolution. It detects my external monitor resolution as 1920x1080 which is correct and is the one that I want. What should I do more with it?

ardunarda
October 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM
i understand now. u are using ubuntu default monitor program. I download proprietary driver for nvidia and i use nvidia x server settings for screen settings. original screen res. is your laptop resolution.

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM
i understand now. u are using ubuntu default monitor program. I download proprietary driver for nvidia and i use nvidia x server settings for screen settings. original screen res. is your laptop resolution.

Thanks! I'll try your "original resolution" suggestion once I restart my laptop because I moved the icons back manually :)

Is it possible to install Nvidia X server settings application without Nvidia driver?

al prince nofl
October 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hey,

I have the same problem and i was going to post new topic to get any help but i found this topic, i read it all but i didn't got any useful information or help :/
I wish anyone can help because at least the network manager gone and i don't know how to connect to any wireless, dsl or broadband !!

Thanks.

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
My co-worker has the same laptop as mine. He installed Ubuntu 10.10. He also notices this problem sometimes, especially the clock/calendar jumping in and out.

I hope some one can help us out!

al prince nofl
October 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I wish this problem solve and if anyone can help me by telling me how to add the Network Manager again to can use the internet,

Thanks.

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure how to add it, but you can start it by typing: 'sudo NetworkManager' command

al prince nofl
October 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure how to add it, but you can start it by typing: 'sudo NetworkManager' command

Thanks but it says "** (NetworkManager:11724): WARNING **: NetworkManager is already running (pid 906)".

Even it's already running i can't choose any network or enter a password :confused:

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks but it says "** (NetworkManager:11724): WARNING **: NetworkManager is already running (pid 906)".

Even it's already running i can't choose any network or enter a password :confused:

try to kill it: kill -9 906
if it doesn't help, try to restart X server: ctrl+alt+Backspace

al prince nofl
October 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM
try to kill it: kill -9 906
if it doesn't help, try to restart X server: ctrl+alt+Backspace

I didn't tried that, i just went to "Network Connection" and added new wireless with the information of my wireless and checked the auto login so it connected and now using the internet till i have time to format the laptop and put Ubuntu 10.10.

But i want to take a backup of everything on the system, i am going to make new topic to ask about that before formating, if you can help about this point i would be so grateful.

Thanks.

tisungho
October 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Did you take a look at this thread?
http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469625