PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Software for Designing Networks

Sef
October 18th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I am looking for some open source Network Design software that can be used on Ubuntu 10.10. It should be able to show routers, switches, and anything else that is to be used in networks. I know about Dia, but am not sure if it has diagrams for networking. Does anyone know? Other programs?

foxmulder881
October 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I use an online tool for this sort of work. Head to http://www.gliffy.com/ it's awesome and truly beats any other software I've used for network design and graphing.

cariboo
October 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Have a look at dia, it's in the repositories.

foxmulder881
October 18th, 2010, 07:06 AM
OP said he knew about Dia.

Dia is great and all and I use it for my work all the time. The advantage of gliffy.com though is the fact you can add pc/laptop/router/switch etc. icons to display exactly what-is-what.

fatality_uk
October 18th, 2010, 01:05 PM
OP said he knew about Dia.

Dia is great and all and I use it for my work all the time. The advantage of gliffy.com though is the fact you can add pc/laptop/router/switch etc. icons to display exactly what-is-what.

You can do exactly the same in DIA. In DIA, hit F9 and you can then select CISCO network from the drop down list.

foxmulder881
October 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
You can do exactly the same in DIA. In DIA, hit F9 and you can then select CISCO network from the drop down list.

What are you talking about? F9 does nothing in Dia for me. :confused:

fatality_uk
October 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
What are you talking about? F9 does nothing in Dia for me. :confused:

From the file menu in the toolbar window, choose "Sheets and objects..." then select Cisco.

fatality_uk
October 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM
P.S. you can also add new icons & new sheets there as well. So if you have a lot of icons that you might have grabbed from the net say, and you want to use them in your diagrams, just add them there.

foxmulder881
October 18th, 2010, 11:29 PM
From the file menu in the toolbar window, choose "Sheets and objects..." then select Cisco.

Jeez of all the years I've been using Dia I never even knew that was there. Although it might come in handy now I know that they're there, I think I still prefer gliffy as the icons are a lot more self explanatory that the Dia Cisco ones.

Nice find though, thanks.

juancarlospaco
October 18th, 2010, 11:55 PM
NetEmul (apt:/netemul)
GNS3
Jnetmap (on getdeb)
:)

Sef
October 19th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will try Dia and see if it fits my needs. The others will be nice for me, if I find that Dia does not fit my needs.

fatality_uk
October 19th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Jeez of all the years I've been using Dia I never even knew that was there. Although it might come in handy now I know that they're there, I think I still prefer gliffy as the icons are a lot more self explanatory that the Dia Cisco ones.

Nice find though, thanks.

Your welcome. Although as I say, you can easily change the icons in DIA, add your own or just grab some from somewhere else ;)

Grenage
October 19th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I don't know about open source, but I used 'The Dude' years ago; that was pretty good.