PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Ubuntu Machine Build Problem

ericbrooking
October 18th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Hello, I put Ubuntu 10.04 on my Nokia 3G and it saving the netbook from going into the trash. Everything worked perfect. So I decided to build a new desktop I5 machine with 4 GB of 1333 dual mode DDR3 Ram and for the hard drive I got one of the new Crucial C300 256 GB SSD (it is connected to a SATA3 connection). The assembly went fine, and I fired up Ubuntu from a USB stick and then I tried to format the SSD, it's sitting on IDE channel 6 master (this is the SATA3 port there are 4 other SATA2 ports that can't support the SSD).

Since the is a single stand alone Ubuntu system and the SSD HD is new and unformated, I plugged in the USB stick with Ubuntu and fired it up. I can see the drive from BIOS but not from Ubuntu. Command line within the termal reveils no HD but it is hooked up and the bios sees it.

Help me get this drive formatted, again there are no other drives, and I'm not converting from a windows system.

Also would you recommend EXT4? Since this will be a deticated kick butt Ubuntu machine?

Thanks.