PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't access Cd drive or usb...

invisibledemon
October 18th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Hello.
I'm new, if you cant tell by the post count.
completely new to linux as well. im tired of windows and i dont want a mac.
so, i thought i would give ubuntu a try.
I got my hands on a little computer that nobody wanted and had no other use for it other than a test computer to see how i like ubuntu.
the problem im having is that i cant get the cd drive to let me use it.
its on, it opens and shuts, and i can hear the cd spinning, but i get nothing. i cant access it.

when searching, as i have for the past two days, the only thing i can find is stuff about using the install disk and problems associated with that.
i have already had it installed, its running, but i can do no more.

the usb doesnt work either. im stuck using an old keyboard and mouse that are both way past their expiration dates.

I cant get the computer online because i only have a wireless connection where im at, but i cant use my usb wireless drive because i cant get the cd for it to run. according to the ubuntu site the wireless i have should be compatible.

When i go into the places dropdown menu, i can access the computer and floppy drive. nothing else. (i have the other selections of home folder, desktop, docs, etc.)

now, when i go into system > admin > Disk utility, i can see the cd drive. and it shows me that there is data on the cd, but i cant get to it.

i need help. i need my usb drives because this mouse is driving me insane.

invisibledemon
October 19th, 2010, 02:17 AM
solved