PDA

View Full Version : (New Install) in Upgrade Manager

dspisak
October 18th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Hi, folks. I've been using 10.04 for some months. It has proven to be stable, reliable, and quick. I have added the upgrades as suggested in Upgrade Manager except for linux-headers and linux-image that are marked (New Install). I seem to remember that somewhere in the ubuntu forums someone mentioned that updates marked (New Install) were only to be used when making a fresh install of the linux OS. This does not seem correct to me. Unfortunately, I cannot find that thread. So, what exactly does (New Install) mean? Can I upgrade to the latest headers and image as normal updates, or must I do a fresh install? My current kernel is 2.6.32-21-generic. The recommended update is to 2.6.32-25-generic.

TIA.

dspisak
October 20th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Bump

aust77
October 20th, 2010, 03:01 AM
New install simply refers to a new installation of the linux kernel. Since it's so minor, you'll still be running 10.04 no problems. You probably won't even notice the difference, but upgrade nonetheless. When I installed 10.04 at first I had 2.6.32-21, then went through -22, -23, -24 and finally 2.6.32-25. Cheers,

aust77

mikewhatever
October 20th, 2010, 03:07 AM
In Ubuntu, kernel updates are new installs, in other words, a newer kernel gets installed while the older ones are retained and can be used if needed. Updating the kernel is recommended, as usually, updates provide patches and bug fixes.

PS: Upgrading usually refers to more subtle changes, new features, etc, so we are talking about updating here.

dspisak
October 20th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Aust77 and mikewhatever, very clear answers. Thank you.