PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with graphics again...

dougalkerr
October 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I tried the proprietary driver offered as I always do when I get the chance. Forever hoping that ATI/AMD will get things right first time but, there always seems to be problems.
Why on Earth is this driver offered before it works for all its cards on all systems. I would not have thought it too difficult to do but, then I am only an electronics engineer with 25 years self taught PC experience. the king you really need. Unfortunately, this has not stretched to building software for peripherals as complicated as graphics cards only electronic machines needed to interface with PCs and work properly and for good with no errors.
I can only think that graphics cards must be very difficult to interface with computers else we would all have on-board graphics that would satisfy everyones' needs. They used to when computers were young so what has changed? Why can't we get this graphics problem sorted out once and for all.

Anyway the problem today was... I installed 10.10 for the first time. All went well. I installed the proprietary graphics driver and decided to Logout and in again... oh, dear, not a good thing to do. I lost screen interface, all was black. I had to power off at the main switch and back on again. The odd thing here was that the Logout window asked "do I really want to logout" as an option to cancel and logout buttons. When I removed the proprietary driver (which also gives the ugly 10.10 splash screen) the 'do you really want to logout' button disappeared from the Logout window. What is going on here? Have other options been written for use with the proprietary driver and why?
Thankfully the ugly splash screen went away and it returned to the neat, if plain, Ubuntu splash and booted as normal once more.

Why is the microphone input always muted by default? Answers please on a postcard to; This Forum.
It is early days for me and 10.10. I don't normally use plain Ubuntu but, it is intriguing and I will live with it for a short while to see how it has matured.