PDA

View Full Version : The End of FUD is Nigh

norm7446
October 17th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I've been thinking over the last few day's ( post release of Meerkat ) about spreading the word about Ubutnu and also Linux in general. Part of this had had me trawling You Tube for Linux Adverts. I have seen some amazing bid's from the seminal IBM one to Novell's Hi! I'm Linux trio of vert's. But for me so far this has to be my favourite's so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDOL7_7DB7k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLh1OqgPDI8&feature=related

I Linux

PS: Think that the Novell add's should be re-done with Nixie Pixel as Linux. Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

JDShu
October 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
BBC's April Fool's joke was a good one.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I have used Linux for a long time. Your title references FUD; however, the first ad you posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDOL7_7DB7k&feature=related suggests something that is not true.

Penguins can't fly, and Linux isn't going to change that.

norm7446
October 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I have used Linux for a long time. Your title references FUD; however, the first ad you posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDOL7_7DB7k&feature=related suggest something that is not true.

For me the Video is a surrealist metaphor* for Linux. It's like the male optical illusion of a woman in a bikini if you look long enough you can see a boat in the back ground. Watch it again but see the word's. My FUD ref is to the end of FUD. Not the continuation of it. You know their is no FUD in Linux, so pass the word.

I Linux.

PS: I know Penguins cant fly.

*http://www.jstor.org/pss/1772289

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 17th, 2010, 11:01 PM
You know their is no FUD in Linux, so pass the word.

There is no FUD in Linux or Windows as operating systems. The FUD results from the involvement of corporations and fan-boys.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 17th, 2010, 11:14 PM
PS: Think that the Novell add's should be re-done with Nixie Pixel as Linux. Answers on a postcard to the usual address.
Edit: Seriously? If I was a commercial entity, spending money on an advertisement, Nixie Pixel would be about the last person on my list. Right down there with Random College Kid B. It's nothing personal, just that I cannot think of a single reason she would make a good spokesperson, besides the fact that some people here read her blog. If you're reading her blog, you're probably already using Linux.

As for FUD. The more mainstream Linux becomes, the more FUD will be spread by its opponents, so I find the title of this thread pretty presumptuous.

inobe
October 17th, 2010, 11:54 PM
it's known for over a decade that fud causes the opposite affect other than what's usually expected.

norm7446
October 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Why is everyone so serious... Where is your Ubuntu spirit.

I chose the title of FUD, as Fear and Doubt. As one of the reasons why people out there do not use Linux. Meerkat for Me is the continuation of a progression towards Ubuntu and Linux in general being, a more main stream consideration as an Operating System for Joe and Jane Bloggs to have on there home system, or at there place of work.

I personally at the min cant for some reason get Ubuntu to go onto my Desktop machine. But I do have Meerkat on my laptop. I have tried over the last week a few other Distro's, which have worked Ok on my Desktop. But they all have had that something missing that Ubuntu does so well. For Me this defines why I use Linux and wanted to seek out Adverts that push that image of a professional operating system, for everyone.

This is my view. As I see it. I just want to spread the word that FUD is Dead. Ubuntu does everything you could want it to do + more when you need it.

I Linux, therefore I am ?.

norm7446
October 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
This is a prime example of FUD. In my view that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2d60XRSDqg

CraigPaleo
October 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
You've gotta love those flying penguins. It reminds me of Joust.

MasterNetra
October 18th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Why is everyone so serious... Where is your Ubuntu spirit.

I chose the title of FUD, as Fear and Doubt. As one of the reasons why people out there do not use Linux. Meerkat for Me is the continuation of a progression towards Ubuntu and Linux in general being, a more main stream consideration as an Operating System for Joe and Jane Bloggs to have on there home system, or at there place of work.

I personally at the min cant for some reason get Ubuntu to go onto my Desktop machine. But I do have Meerkat on my laptop. I have tried over the last week a few other Distro's, which have worked Ok on my Desktop. But they all have had that something missing that Ubuntu does so well. For Me this defines why I use Linux and wanted to seek out Adverts that push that image of a professional operating system, for everyone.

This is my view. As I see it. I just want to spread the word that FUD is Dead. Ubuntu does everything you could want it to do + more when you need it.

I Linux, therefore I am ?.

"Ubuntu does everything you could want it to do + more when you need it."

Not true, still doesn't run... Dreamweaver, Flash pro, Illustrator, etc. And while yes thats actually not Ubuntu or any Linux Distro's fault and yes their is wine, which is still subpair when handling adobe products. And while yes Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, and Dreamweaver have their alternatives, those alternatives don't match up to what adobe's software can do. For a professional, adobe software is still more often then not the best way to go. Even if the price is steep for the products. -.-

norm7446
October 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
"Ubuntu does everything you could want it to do + more when you need it."
Ok, it was a bold statement. But I still stick by it.

Yes it wont install all of the Abode software that you mention. But that is fine by me, as then I would have to use either a Mac a Win Box.

What I want to talk about is the grass roots people who use Linux instead of Windows or Mac, for all there own reason's. I for one do not use Linux because it is Free to use. I use it as I don't like being told what I can and cant do with my PC.

Sorry if this seems to much like a Windows bashing session. But we all have different reasons for installing Ubuntu on our PC's. Laptop's, Netbook's. Time I think has come to spread the word. Time has come to come out of the closet, so to speak. To speak up. To say to everyone that Linux, is ready, to go mainstream. Once we spread the word and companies like Abode start to listen and make a Linux version. Then in time you will be able to install all the professional software you could ever want. on Ubuntu. As I Linux.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I use it because I perfer the interface. Gnome rocks imo.

perspectoff
October 19th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Hmmm, seems I saw a nature program in Patagonia where killer whales or great white sharks, or something, launch onto the ice to catch penguins. Seemed to me the penguins there quickly figured out something quite akin to flying.