PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first laptop...

Vivica_Gsy
October 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Greetings All,

I have been nursing my old desktop rig along for months now, quick fixes to keep it stable, but its now reached the point where i just can't keep her up and running... It's time to say goodbye.
I've always used and built my own desktop machines, but its been around 6 years since my last build, and i really don't know a great deal about buying laptops.

I've been using my Dads Acer Extensa 5230 for a while now, and frankly, i am going to be needing more from a laptop than this!!
I've also used my girlfriends HP TM2, which has made me realise that i don't want a touchscreen, and that good speakers are a must... Its speakers are useless!
I'm comfortable with most OS', the only one i refuse to use is OSX.

A few things i would like/need...

Good quality webcam - I'm in a long distance and long term relationship, enough said!
Decent speakers - I have external speakers, but would like decent sound when travelling.
Good audio out - Needs to have at very least 2.1 audio out, 5.1 preferred.
Good GFX - Needs to be able to play HD videos from YouTube and Vimeo without Any issues.
HDMI out (and VGA out if poss), along with dual screen capability (laptop and monitor styley)
801.11N - I live in a granite house, WiFi range is Everything!
Built in Bluetooth - Would be nice as i use my N95 quite a lot and BlueTooth sync would be nice.
Would like Pg Up/Down, Home/End keys... I know, its a weird criteria.

Anybody with any other questions please just shout.

Thanks in advance!!

Verbeck
October 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Do you have a price range in mind?

holiday
October 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I have a Sony Vaio FW. It's the best laptop I've had and I've had a MacBook Pro and a couple of topline Toshibas. It's a brick. I installed Ubuntu 10.4 and installed the proprietary video driver and it is a charm.

Fast. Crisp graphics.

Speakers are never an issue for me. I rely on good quality headphones and with them the sound on this machine is just fine.

cariboo
October 17th, 2010, 09:29 PM
This really isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

Vivica_Gsy
October 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM
This really isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

Sorry if i was in the wrong section, as you can probably tell from my post count i'm not here often.

I'm thinking of a budget of around £650?

Cheers guys.

kaldor
October 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/

They ship internationally.

themarker0
October 17th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Acer aspire timeline. Help the enviroment! The 15.6in model i have does all your requests ;) At last price i saw a 15.6in one for about 499.00ish range at my supplier.