PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] (Synaptic Package Manager Error) E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run...

Destructo47
October 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: cache->open()failed, please report

I get this error when I try to run Package Manager. I have tried going to Terminal and using the suggested command, but then the blockcontrol configure screen appears. I don't want to install it, I just want to get rid of it.

sudo dpkg --configure -aThat just brings up the blockcontrol config screen.

sudo apt-get purge moblock-nfq
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.Above is the same error from dpkg in the Terminal.

nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo apt-get remove moblock-nfq
[sudo] password for nick:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo killall apt-get
apt-get: no process found
nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo killall dpkg
nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo apt-get purge moblock-nfq
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo aptitude purge moblock-nfq
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for nick:
Setting up blockcontrol (1.6.12-1~lucid) ...
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: error processing blockcontrol (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mobloquer:
mobloquer depends on blockcontrol; however:
Package blockcontrol is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mobloquer (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
blockcontrol
mobloquerAbove is basically all of my attempts to remove it. I'm assuming at the moment I've done something wrong, due to to error messages at the end.

I have tried going through the blockcontrol configuration, but I had no idea how to configure it. I didn't finish so I could NOT uninstall it afterwards. Right now, I cannot install any packages via Synaptic, as it quits after the error message.

So, I ran purge one more time to try and remove it.

nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo apt-get purge blockcontrol
Building dependency tree
The following packages will be REMOVED:
blockcontrol* mobloquer*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 1,036kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
(Reading database ... 205652 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mobloquer ...
Purging configuration files for mobloquer ...
Removing blockcontrol ...
* Stopping IP block daemon moblock [ OK ]
dpkg: error processing blockcontrol (--purge):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
dpkg: error processing man-db (--purge):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Processing triggers for python-support ...
blockcontrol
man-db
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)Coincidentally, Update Manager popped up after that and told me to run a "A partial upgrade". I didn't want to upgrade, so I cancelled and this is what appeared:

Software index is broken

It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.

nick@Nicks-room:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Building dependency tree
The following packages will be REMOVED:
blockcontrol
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 414kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 205619 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing blockcontrol ...
dpkg: error processing blockcontrol (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
blockcontrol
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)Same error as before. At this point, I have no idea what to do. Can someone point me in the right direction as to at least enable update again?

jre
October 20th, 2010, 05:39 PM
You've got to solve that problem (the first problem you already solved by issuing "sudo killall dpkg"):

According to other threads you may use one of these commands

lsof /var/cache/debconf/config.dat
fuser -v /var/cache/debconf/config.dat to find out which process is using this file.

Where from did you get moblock-nfq? This is outdated since years.
Today you may simply install moblock+blockcontrol+mobloquer (if you want a GUI) or their successors pgld+pglcmd (if you don't need a GUI). In the installation you may simply just confirm all questions. See also here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MoBlock

PS: You may get your system running again also the Windows way: reboot.

Destructo47
October 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
Well, all of my attempts above plus a reboot seemed to get rid of the inability to use Synaptic. I ran the first two commands you suggested and received no output. So, using Synaptic, I removed the package "moblock" which was the only remaining trace of that program. To be honest, I didn't know what the name of the package was. I don't even remember downloading the package for it. Removing that seemed to get rid of the whole "Partial Upgrade" message.

During all this I learned that Verizon does not throttle torrent traffic. Basically, when I found that out, I realized that I didn't need Moblock to hide anything.

So, thank you for all your suggestions.