PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI fglrx, ATI Mobility 4200 - Lockups gnome(3)-shell

Saner
October 17th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hiya, i doubt if this can be fixed, but its worth a shot anyway.

I have installed the fglrx driver from "Hardware Drivers" and it runs fine, until I launch gnome3 or gnome-shell, it then just locks X (its not hard locked, I can CTRL + ALT + 2/3 etc out) but I cant do anything else.

If I use the mesa / xorg driver its fine.

The trouble is I play one game, and I need the fglrx driver for that game, the mesa one corrupts the 3d engine :(

It wouldnt be a pain, but i am one of the few who seems to find gnome-shell an improvement, and I get really frustrated when it wont work.

Any idea's on what I can try, other than hopfully having a working system when ATI launches the 10.10 driver on its website (although the leaked rc had the same issue)

Cheers for any hints, I only recently got a ATI card so I am pretty new when dealing with the ATI cat's

Saner
October 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Bump and extra info.

Still get the same problems with the final 10.10 driver, however if I build gnome-shell from source it does work without the crash's but its so slow its unusable.

any ideas ?

Saner
November 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Bumpety bump bumo

Yellow Pasque
November 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Mutter doesn't work with fglrx - known issue. They (GNOME/ATI) are working on it: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2010-November/msg00006.html

Ubuntu 11.04 is also going to Unity-based desktop.

Saner
November 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Cheers,

About the only thing I didnt search for was "Mutter and fglrx"

figures.