PDA

View Full Version : Image or Picture? Movie or Video?

limestone
October 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Here's a fun thing.. I'm sorting my files on the disk and making a new music library.
Anyway, I'm stuck at naming my Pictures/Images folder and Movies/Videos/Films folder..

Which is the actual lable?
I read somewhere that image is like a shape of something in one point and a picture is more detailed.

The movies I have are real deal, not something I made myself.
The pictures are everything through Wallpapers to pictures taken with my camera.

So!
What should I use for lable? Images/Pictures, Movies/Videos or Films?

:D

Spice Weasel
October 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM
It really doesn't matter. :P

But I have the Movies directory inside Videos.

TheNessus
October 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Here's a fun thing.. I'm sorting my files on the disk and making a new music library.
Anyway, I'm stuck at naming my Pictures/Images folder and Movies/Videos/Films folder..

Which is the actual lable?
I read somewhere that image is like a shape of something in one point and a picture is more detailed.

The movies I have are real deal, not something I made myself.
The pictures are everything through Wallpapers to pictures taken with my camera.

So!
What should I use for lable? Images/Pictures, Movies/Videos or Films?

:D

I call it Video directory since I also have episodes and random vids, that cannot be dubbed movies.

I call it pictures directory, for no reason really.

limestone
October 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I noticed that Gnome adds the folders Pictures and Videos in your home directory...

chessnerd
October 17th, 2010, 05:45 PM
There is a hierarchy here. Film/movie is a subset of video. Picture is a subset of image.

A film is a video, but not all videos are films. Would you call a guy doing the Nooma Nooma dance for 15 minutes a film? That's a video. Sintel, however, is a film. Yes, it is a video, but it is a specific type of video. Video also contains subclasses like TV show episode.

Image and picture work similarly. A picture is an image, but not all images are pictures. The Ubuntu logo is an image, but it isn't a picture. All pictures, however, are images.

I believe "movie" and "film" are two names for the same thing. Wikipedia agrees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film

So, have a Videos folder and then a Films/Movies folder inside it. Then, have an Images folder with a Pictures folder inside of it. You could use a Wallpapers/Backgrounds folder inside the Images folder for your desktop images.

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Good explanation, chessnerd.

limestone
October 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Good explanation, chessnerd.

2nd.