PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] No wireless in live CD

Hagar55
October 17th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I want to upgrade the installation of Ubuntu on my laptop.
However since I prefer a clean install I made a bootable USB with the 10.10 64 bit edition on it.

I can Boot from the USB fine but then it tries to connect to the wireless, it sees it's WPA secured asks for the password and then it tries for 20 seconds and asks for the password again.

I've checked the password by reentering it in my current 10.04 install and it works fine there, but connecting with the live cd is a no go.

I have a dell 1737 with an intel 1510 half mini card.

Hagar55
October 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I booted with the Live Cd from 10.04 and I connected without problems.

I then tried 10.10 again, no show...
Thought it would improve by installing, still nothing....
It just keeps asking for the password wich I know is right , try's a bit then I get the request again.

Would trying the alternate install help ??

73ckn797
October 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Have you booted from a Live CD?

Hagar55
October 18th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Let's go on here...

Booted from the Live cd of the 10.10 DVD alternate, no wireless possible.
Then booted from the 10.04 64 bit edition and wireless worked again. I installed this and so far all was good.

Then upgraded to 10.10 and wireless stopped working again !!!

So now I'm stuck, could this be a 64 bit problem with my driver, would trying the 32 bit edition work better ?

I installed 3 times already and I'm getting fed up. This isn't some exotic chipset I'm using here this is a reason to ditch linux all together I mean wireless isn't that big a deal to get right here !

Hack.The.Pow.
October 18th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Let's go on here...

Booted from the Live cd of the 10.10 DVD alternate, no wireless possible.
Then booted from the 10.04 64 bit edition and wireless worked again. I installed this and so far all was good.

Then upgraded to 10.10 and wireless stopped working again !!!

So now I'm stuck, could this be a 64 bit problem with my driver, would trying the 32 bit edition work better ?

I installed 3 times already and I'm getting fed up. This isn't some exotic chipset I'm using here this is a reason to ditch linux all together I mean wireless isn't that big a deal to get right here !

You said that it can find the wireless network but it just says that the password is wrong?

Have you tried taking the password off the network and retrying?

Hagar55
October 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hello again....

I decided to just leave 10.10 for what it is, whatever I try, wichever ISO I try wireless isn't working....

So I installed 10.04 64 bit edition and the wireless works out of the box again....wich is a shame I would've loved to try out 10.10 but with no connection that's just not an option..

So there it is folks 10.10 will not play with the wireless on the dell 1737, 10.04 has no problems at all......go figure !

jamelt
October 19th, 2010, 03:43 AM
This is maddenning! I thought I was a retard, but more and more and more people are unable to access their wireless networks with Ubuntu 10.10. I'm about to switch to a new distro.

Cobracommand0
October 19th, 2010, 03:48 AM
This is maddenning! I thought I was a retard, but more and more and more people are unable to access their wireless networks with Ubuntu 10.10. I'm about to switch to a new distro.

Just stick with 10.04 if you are having issues with 10.10, 10.04's much more stable since it's LTS..

73ckn797
October 19th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I have had one wireless issue with 10.10. I use Wicd and have to "connect" twice before it will connect. Did not have this with previous versions. 10.10 is actually worse than 8.10 Intrepid Ibex was in my experience in several other areas as well.

Hagar55
October 19th, 2010, 05:55 AM
If anyone wants a reason why people don't switch to Ubuntu or linux, this is a BIG REASON FOR IT !

When something new comes out things are supposed to work BETTER, or just plain KEEP WORKING...

I've seen a few upgrades now and it's not always what will be better you look out for but what they broke this time...

Really I don't need things to get more shiny or really big interface changes all the times but things that are working have to keep working and let's face it when you upgrade windows on a recent machine there isn't much chance of your wireless crapping out or something similar...

This kind of mess just isn't acceptable folks....not with common hardware...

mörgæs
October 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
It is always like this for any operative system. No matter if it is called beta, release candidate or final: If it is young, there are bugs. Windows XP was a pain in the beginning but turned out to be a good operative system (sorry for swearing) after the first service pack.

Now is the time to switch to 10.04, not away from it.

Hagar55
October 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I agree with that for the most part, but some things like wireless are basic things you can't go without.
So I understand if some things in the UI go wild or some small thing doesn't work straight away...
But this should've been avoidable...my opinion.

TBABill
October 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM
My Dell 1545 with Realtek RTL8111 has the exact same problem. Even tried Mint 10 to see if the Mint folks found a fix and incorporated it, but they didn't. Same symptoms. This is huge because so many people with so many brands are affected exactly the same way with no posts anywhere (I've been searching!) on a fix. In a month this will be resolved and we'll all be touting how great 10.10 is, just like every version when it first releases.

Hagar55
October 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
I had issues for ever with compiz not working on my ATI laptop card (Mob. radeon HD3650) and that only got fixed by installing some alternate x-org...)
So don't count on it being resolved that quickly...