PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD environment has some issues

Yarui
October 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Has anyone other than me had problems getting the installer to boot into the live environment so that the install process can start? This is the second release in a row that I have had an issue like this. I somehow managed to get 10.04 to work after restarting a few times, but the 10.10 cd completely refused to boot for me. About the time it got to the point where it should go into the graphical environment, the screen filled with a pattern of colored dots and it just hung there. I managed to get a message to come up at one point that said it failed to do something, I can't remember the exact message, though.

After reburning the cd from a different machine and using a different cd drive to install from, I decided that the cd probably wasn't burned improperly, and it will boot just fine on my laptop. I decided to just install from the server install disc and install the ubuntu-desktop metapackage after successfully installing, so I'm not looking for a solution at the moment, but it would be nice to know if anyone has any ideas for better solutions if this kind of problem comes up in the future.

Has anyone else had similar problems and found a better solution? Is there maybe an ubuntu desktop edition installer that uses a curses-like installer like the server installer, or is the live environment the only option for installing the desktop edition? The live cd installer is wonderful in most cases, but it seems to disagree with my machine for some reason, so it would really be nice if there was another install method.