PDA

View Full Version : A general question about the upgrade settings in Software Sources.

diablo75
October 17th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Inside of the Software Sources control panel there is an Update tab, and within that tab is an option to select which distribution upgrades to notify the user about. The choices are Never, Normal Releases, and Long Term Support Releases Only.

The last options is making me think, "Okay, this means only look out for .04 numbered releases and ignore the .10's."

But then I'm going, "Wait a minute... I don't think you can upgrade Ubuntu directly from one LTS release to the next without applying the .10 release along the way." So I was wanting to check with you guys to see if my thinking is off about this.

If it turns out to be true that you can't upgrade directly from something like 9.04 to 10.04, then it would make sense that when the next LTS release does come out you won't be notified about it via Update Manager, because you don't meet the prerequisite of having .10 installed already. I seem to think this is the case because I have run into systems that are running something like 8.04 on them simply because the user didn't know distribution upgrades were even available.

NightwishFan
October 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM
You can go from lts to lts. Normal point release can only go to the next version.

matthew.ball
October 17th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I believe for the .04's, every second one won't be an LTS.

So:
1. 8.04 was an LTS,
2. 9.04 wasn't an LTS,
3. 10.04 was an LTS,
4. 11.04 won't be an LTS,
etc.