PDA

View Full Version : mp3-player for Linux

Seaman
April 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Hello everyone!

Since my iPod Shuffle died a couple of days ago I'm looking for a new mp3-player. When I was a 100 % Max OS X user I thought that I might get an iPod Nano when I could afford one, how ever, now when I run Linux things are slightly different. I must also say that almost all my friends that have an iPod have or have had major technical problems with them, maybe the quality isn't that good after all. Tough, I leave that to be undecided. :-k

There was in general two things that I didn't like with my iPod:

1) Did not have support for .ogg and .flac.

2) It was "locked" to iTunes, and just to one iTunes library. I think iTunes is a great program but I don't want to have it every time I am going to add or remove some files from my iPod. You could of course see all the music files with the terminal, tough, iTunes translated the file names to names like 1G8D5.acc, 9IOX5.acc and etc. I also think that there was som kind of database-file kept on the iPod which told which files names that were "legal", so I just couldn't add my own music files from an other computer through the terminal.

So what do I want my future mp3-player to have? Well;
* Support for at least .mp3 and .ogg.
* 2 GB or larger, flash.
* Not being locked to any kind of software unless there is a workaround for it in Linux.
* Using rechargeable batteries.
* Not being a product of Sony. [-(
* Has some quality (does not feel very "plastic" for example).
* Menus (if there is any) should at least be available in English (no "Japanese only" stuff).

This things are a plus, but not a requirement;
* Having support for .flac.
* Has an OLED-display.
* Does not have alot of features like video-player or any stuff that could lower the battery time.
* A generous warranty.
* Menus available in Swedish

The price isn't of very big interest, I guess I could pay quite much to get a player that fill my requirements, tough, it does not mean that I am not interested in cheaper stuff.

I guess that's all. I hope you can give me som tips on players that could suit me, all tips are very welcome.

Good night and have a nice Easter!

John.Michael.Kane
April 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&description=ogg&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0 OGG players

Seaman
April 13th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Well, sure they had .ogg-support ;) tough I only found one flash player with 2 GB (or more) and it did not have support for Linux :( Well, thank you anyway.

dosed150
April 13th, 2006, 11:35 PM
this would be good if you can get it in sweden

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E9Q1CS/ref=br_ce_nr_4/203-3314563-1059139

2gb plays ogg and uses usb mass storage so will work with linux

Seaman
April 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM
this would be good if you can get it in sweden

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E9Q1CS/ref=br_ce_nr_4/203-3314563-1059139

2gb plays ogg and uses usb mass storage so will work with linux
Thanks! Seems to be exactly what I was looking for, now I just have to find out if it is available in Sweden.

jbrader
April 13th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Search for jet audio. They make several different players that are OS agnostic and play all major file types icluding ogg. I have a X5 and I love it.

John.Michael.Kane
April 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
jbrader the link i removed give the OP some jetaudio's to look at he/she said it was not what they wanted thus link was removed.

Seaman
April 14th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I found this one as well; Cowon iAudio U3. Some more expensive but looks nice. Hard decision. Anyone have some experience from any of these two products?

jbrader
April 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Ok, in my previous post I said to look up jet audio, which is made by cowon. Then I get a reply saying a link to that had been removed because it wasn't what you're looking for and now you're saying it looks good. !?

brim4brim
April 14th, 2006, 12:11 AM
In Ireland in a local Argo's (don't know if you know these store's), there is a Philips HDD player that plays OGG, MP3, Flac etc..

They had Flash players aswell but I can't remember if they supported these formats. I'd also have a look at Samsung (they make Flash memory for Apple and have recently started making their own players) and Creative.

Can't tell you if they support the formats off the top of my head unfortunately I'm on a slow, expensive connection so I can't look it up for you but I'd recommend these players for quality etc.. if they do support the formats your looking for.

John.Michael.Kane
April 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Well, sure they had .ogg-support ;) tough I only found one flash player with 2 GB (or more) and it did not have support for Linux :( Well, thank you anyway.

jbrader this reply i got posted above. so to me the OP wants some kind of linux only device or something so i removed the link which gave list of jetaudio products here i will post the link again.

jbrader if you think you can offer the OP some help please do. like i said what i posted was not needed by he/she.

benplaut
April 14th, 2006, 01:09 AM
i can vouch for Cowen... they make awesome equiptment :)

Seaman
April 14th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Ok, in my previous post I said to look up jet audio, which is made by cowon. Then I get a reply saying a link to that had been removed because it wasn't what you're looking for and now you're saying it looks good. !?
I thought it was good at least :-k Well, thank you anyway ;)

lyly
April 14th, 2006, 07:41 AM
If you love ipod design but want more inside ;)

http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

Seaman
April 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM
jbrader this reply i got posted above. so to me the OP wants some kind of linux only device or something so i removed the link which gave list of jetaudio products here i will post the link again.

jbrader if you think you can offer the OP some help please do. like i said what i posted was not needed by he/she.
My fault, sorry. I didn't acutally found the player the first time i searched, I don't know why.
Well, I really appreciate your help, now I got two good players to look closer on and compare.

EDIT: Now I found out why. On newegg.com it said that "Microsoft Windows 98/98se/ME/2000/XP" was the only supported operating systems, tough, on another site I found out that it actually had support for Linux as well, thats why it didn't fit my requirements the first time.