PDA

View Full Version : Personal Computers in 2020

Windows Nerd
October 17th, 2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/day-after-tomorrow-pc2020.html

Check it out. Some interesting predictions, what do you think of their predictions?

Personally I am really against all the movement to cloud computing that the article favours, for privacy reasons.

Austin25
October 17th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I'm hoping for quantum computing or metamaterial cpu's.

corrytonapple
October 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
They say (Popular Science) that we could have computers that use light as a CPU and can process as fast as light.

FuturePilot
October 17th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I'm still waiting for my flying car. :P

Dr Belka
October 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM
They say (Popular Science) that we could have computers that use light as a CPU and can process as fast as light.

Distance/Time

Calculations/Time

Correlation?

|{urse
October 17th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Considering that, all atomic particles are roughly 97% light, the precepts of quantum superposition are that one particle can exist in 2, even 3 places at the same time (this has been observed, recorded and proven at MIT (don't ask me when, i forget) with an electron microscope). So really this adds a whole new dimension to modern binary based computing... that 0 could be a 1 or even another 0 at the same time. That dramatically improves/changes everything. Funny this just came up a second ago on the last thread I looked at. I can't wait to see what the future holds for geeky people. Hopefully we can stay a little smarter than our laptops.

Giant Speck
October 17th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I'm still waiting for my flying car. :P
I'm still waiting for moving sidewalks everywhere.

MisterGaribaldi
October 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I'm still waiting for moving sidewalks everywhere.

+1 to that.

Khakilang
October 17th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Beam me up, Scotty!

Jay Car
October 17th, 2010, 06:26 AM
In 2020 I'll be closing in on my 70th birthday. Soooo...

I want a Transformer-type robot that can do cooking and housekeeping, keep track of my shoes, my purse, my keys, my phone, my glasses, and me (in case I wander off), walk the dog, kick the cat, play a mean game of poker, keep the books, pay the bills, trim the trees and mow the lawn, then turn into a car to drive (or fly!) me around, and maybe sing me to sleep when I'm tired.

I think I'll call it Raoul.

Windows Nerd
October 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM

I read that article as well. If I remember correctly, it was talking about the advantages of light-based computers versus electronic: the tech already (sort-of) exists in fiber-optic cables. I can't remember where and when I read it though. The benefits of it were really intriguing, such as the less heat generated: could this finally raise the frequency barrier that exists in standard cpus? I wonder what the overclocking front would look like on these computers...

Strategist01
October 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm waiting for the graphene processors, which could give us speeds of 100x to 1000x the processing power, and I think that 300GHz or 3THz will be good enough for everybody for the next 10 years and beyond...

MadCow108
October 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
new types of processor materials are more something for 2030-2050
2020 will still be plain old silicon + electrons.
Everything else is still in its most infant stages.

Austin25
October 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
new types of processor materials are more something for 2030-2050
2020 will still be plain old silicon + electrons.
Everything else is still in its most infant stages.
Alright, then dozen gigahertz CPUs and several terabyte hard drives.

blueturtl
October 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Alright, then dozen gigahertz CPUs and several terabyte hard drives.

From 8 MHz and 10 MB to 8 GHz and 10 TB.

My guess is people will still complain about how slow their systems are. :)

Remember, software slows down faster than hardware speeds up.

Austin25
October 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
From 8 MHz and 10 MB to 8 GHz and 10 TB.

My guess is people will still complain about how slow their systems are. :)

Remember, software slows down faster than hardware speeds up.
Correction: Windows users will complain how slow there systems are, and Windows slows down faster than hardware speeds up. Linux is forever optimizing.

Dustin2128
October 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'm waiting for the graphene processors, which could give us speeds of 100x to 1000x the processing power, and I think that 300GHz or 3THz will be good enough for everybody for the next 10 years and beyond...
"640K ought to be enough for anyone"

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM
The economy has not been very good for the last 10 years, and may not get that much better for another 10 years. I would look to 2030 or 2040 for something revolutionary that actually makes it to the consumer market.

I hope that those of you that are young enough enjoy it.

I'll be retired, in an old age home, and on a fixed income struggling to keep Ubuntu 29.04 running on the piece of junk of a computer I'll have then. Provided, I have the mental capacity to remember my password.

:lolflag:

ticopelp
October 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
No matter what technology we have in 2020, someone will be declaring it dead.

themarker0
October 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
It will be built into our bodies by then.

And linux still won't support all the hardware. hehe.