PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installer erratic

m.dr
October 17th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I am installing Ubuntu 9.1 (tried 10.04 and 10.10 as well) where when the installer loads locks out the keyboard. Well key presses to select English or using UP / DWN arrows have no effect.

The the timer runs down and the installer loads the OS into memory. At that point it allows key presses and mouse clicks but then the installer locks up in different points. I have tried this like 4 times now. So I don't get to install.

Sometimes the installer does not load the OS all the way either and starts giving errors 'SQUASHFS Unable to read data cache.' etc.

This is a Dell Optiplex GX 260 and I have another same machine - same drives. DVD burner which isntalls fine with no issues. I even low level formatted the HDDs to make sure they are ok and tried different sets of IDE cables as well. The BIOS recognizes the HDDs and DVD burner fine and no errors messages on boot either.

I even tried different DVD burners just to be sure and all have the same issue. I have never encountered something like this before as I have installed Ubuntu multiple times with no issues on several other machines, or rather issues that have been easily resolved. And like I said I have another machine with eexactly same config, same DVD burner with no issues.

I would appreciate any help and suggestions with this very frustrating issue.

Thanks.

mörgæs
October 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
If your keyboard is PS/2, have you tried a USB one (and vice versa)?

Have you tried the alternate installer?

m.dr
October 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Negative to both.

However I tried the minimum CD and that locks up as well.

If I tried the alternate are there specific options I should try?

How would the alternate help if the minim has failed?

I will try.

Thanks for the suggestions.