PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to Maveric - Errors: Right clicking, battery estimation, Unity slowness

tushantin
October 17th, 2010, 12:00 AM
HP mini 210, 1GB RAM
Maverick Meerkat

As much as I love using Ubuntu Netbook Remix and the applications from Software Center out of speedy and productive habit, upgrading usually seems downright frustrating. I hoped that Lucid Lynx's battery consumption issue would be solved after the upgrade; it has, but left even more problems in its place.

1) Unity is downright awesome despite the learning curve. The problem is that it's pretty slow and sluggish when it comes to quick-start apps. I've searched around and the bug seems to be common, albeit no solutions I've found till now, so I thought I'd try my luck here. The netbook is standard in speed and hasn't given me performance issues in Lucid's interface/applications, so why here?

2) Can't right-click for some reason. The trackpad's Right Click acts like a Left Click, forcing me to use the context button between CTRL and ALT at the right of the spacebar. Any fix to this?

3) For some strange reason, despite using the netbook for over an hour, the batter indicator seems stuck at "Laptop Batter (Estimating)". This is sort of a problem when you're on the go.

Any fixes as of now? Any more info you guys may need? Thank you.

chamm
October 18th, 2010, 10:20 PM
1) Unity is downright awesome despite the learning curve. The problem is that it's pretty slow and sluggish when it comes to quick-start apps. I've searched around and the bug seems to be common, albeit no solutions I've found till now, so I thought I'd try my luck here. The netbook is standard in speed and hasn't given me performance issues in Lucid's interface/applications, so why here?
I have a mini-210 also. I found Unity to be to sluggish to be usable. It's pretty, but I preferred the old netbook interface, especially for underpowered hardware.

2) Can't right-click for some reason. The trackpad's Right Click acts like a Left Click, forcing me to use the context button between CTRL and ALT at the right of the spacebar. Any fix to this?
Yep, the trackpad is broken in 10.10. Look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1388164

Specifically, post #54 got me the greatest solution. Right-click still doesn't work, but you can two-finger scroll and two-finger right-click. There's another post where the person allegedly got right and left buttons as well as edge scroll working, however, he had to do some compiling to make that work. Too much trouble for me.

3) For some strange reason, despite using the netbook for over an hour, the batter indicator seems stuck at "Laptop Batter (Estimating)". This is sort of a problem when you're on the go.
This is broke too. Mine does the same. I'm still looking for a fix.

tushantin
October 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks, chamm! I'll try the fix on my netbook today. Doesn't matter two fingers so long as it works well. If they have a fix for the Unity thing and battery applet do let me know.