PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Login password for Live Lubuntu

Cushie
October 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I installed the Lubuntu.iso file (10.10) to usb flash drive using 'Create Usb Start up drive' including persistence. After the first successful bootup I am subsequently being asked for login name and password which of course was never set. I have tried the common obvious ones but can get none to work.

Can anyone advise, please.

cavalier911
October 16th, 2010, 10:26 PM
You should not be prompted for a password. This could be caused by
a corrupted download check the md5sum of the iso or a bad burn of iso image onto an optical disk.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

SteveDee
October 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I installed the Lubuntu.iso file (10.10) to usb flash drive using 'Create Usb Start up drive' including persistence. After the first successful bootup I am subsequently being asked for login name and password which of course was never set. I have tried the common obvious ones but can get none to work.

Can anyone advise, please.

I had the same problem, but using a CD was fine.
I believe there are some known problems with USB install for Lubuntu.

Cushie
October 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=cavalier911;9983437]You should not be prompted for a password. This could be caused by
a corrupted download check the md5sum of the iso or a bad burn of iso image onto an optical disk.

Thanks for your comments, I know that, but the OS thinks otherwise!

Yes I always check Md5sum. The image loaded fine the first time when no logging in was required but after the first time it produces the problem.

Cushie
October 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I had the same problem, but using a CD was fine.
I believe there are some known problems with USB install for Lubuntu.

I've not tried the install yet, I would like a little more time using the live image. The cd has one advantage in that it can't be written to and cause a problem. (have no CD with netbook) I suppose I could 'burn' a new image to USB stick which would overwrite any settings it had picked up, like that dreadfull 'key storage' routine. (that may have caused it?)
Your comments appreciated.

I wanted to compare Lububtu, Ubuntu-UNR and full on Ubuntu. I'm not getting on too well with the 'Unity' desktop and prefer the 10.04 version UNR desktop with good sized icons and an easy to read Selection bar.