PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Plymouth Graphics Mode

LinuxPhreak
October 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I installed Ubuntu 10.10 Alternate Command Line mode. Then I added gnome core and and added the graphical plymouth theme. However I can't seem to get the graphical plymouth theme to work. It still uses the text mode. How can I change it to boot with the graphical mode?

inobe
October 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
make sure you have plymouth themes installed, search for them in synaptic, install the ones you like.

close synaptic and run

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

a list will appear, select your theme then run

sudo update-initramfs -u

now restart to see if the theme is working.

LinuxPhreak
October 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
make sure you have plymouth themes installed, search for them in synaptic, install the ones you like.

close synaptic and run

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymoutha list will appear, select your theme then run

sudo update-initramfs -unow restart to see if the theme is working.

I've already have done that. I'm on my friends computer which is Windows right now. But on my Ubuntu machine I get something that says something along the lines of it can't display anything because their is only one theme. This is true. But it doesn't show up. Only the text mode theme shows up. When I get back to my house I will post exact details.

LinuxPhreak
October 17th, 2010, 05:01 PM
When I type

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

I get the following message.

There is only one alternative in link group default.plymouth: /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.plymouth
Nothing to configure.

However the plymouth doesn't show up. It only shows the plymouth text mode instead of the graphical mode.

lridium
October 18th, 2010, 03:03 AM
However the plymouth doesn't show up. It only shows the plymouth text mode instead of the graphical mode.

I just wanted to +1 this. I have multiple themes installed however the graphical is being ignored (despite the FRAMEBUFFER=y switch) and only the text is displayed.

inobe
October 18th, 2010, 03:09 AM
okay this may be the result of

High-color graphics on nVidia, ATI and other cards
--------------------------------------------------

Our default configuration uses low-color graphics on cards or drivers
for which "Kernel Mode Setting" (in-kernel graphics drivers) are not
available.

This is because the driver that permits high-color graphics tends to
cause issues with suspend and resume, and we opted to prefer that
working.

For nVidia and ATI users, the default "nouveau" and "radeon"
drivers are Kernel Mode Setting enabled, but do not always
provide 3D capability at the current time. By switching to
using the restricted/non-free nvidia-glx or fglrx drivers,
you will gain 3D capability at the loss of a high-color
splash screen.

You can however chose to enable high-color (and resolution) console
if you find it doesn't affect suspend/resume for you, or you don't
use that feature.

There are various methods of doing this, the most robust is the
following four steps:

Append video=vesafb to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in
/etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
sudo update-initramfs -u

in the kubuntu tutorial in my sig it states you may even see text replacing a splash if you have a proprietary driver installed.

however if you don't have nvidia's driver and at least nouveau's i suspect you will see text.

lridium
October 18th, 2010, 03:12 AM
*SNIP*

There are various methods of doing this, the most robust is the
following four steps:

Append video=vesafb to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in
/etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
sudo update-initramfs -u

I've followed Alberto's text as I found it on Pastebin (which you have above, too) including the video switch and the framebuffer line. This hasn't changed my results. I'm running the nvidia binary, just for the record.

It's also worth mentioning that the start of this coincided with my switch to 10.10 (correlation is not causality, but just something to keep in mind).

garvinrick4
October 18th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Are the graphic drivers hitting before the mountall package hits. This works for me on all plymouth versions of Ubuntu
540801 launchpad:

sudo -i
echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
update-initramfs -u

lridium
October 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I've got that there and the images are updated, but I don't know when the driver is loading (that's probably the real question on this one for my personal case).

inobe
October 18th, 2010, 04:30 AM
i have the nvidia proprietary driver installed and i get text too.

my problem is i need to deactivate nvidia's drive and use nouveau's to even see a splash, i think this is key.

click to watch my splash screen (http://www.itsyourpc.org/duane/files/splash.swf)

lridium
October 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
i have the nvidia proprietary driver installed and i get text too.

my problem is i need to deactivate nvidia's drive and use nouveau's to even see a splash, i think this is key.

click to watch my splash screen (http://www.itsyourpc.org/duane/files/splash.swf)

And I had a feeling that was going to be necessary down the road, but some of the reading made it sound like it may be possible to get a splash up and running with "nvidia". I had run nouveau previously under Lucid and received the splash so I suppose this is just going to be a drawback to the nvidia driver unless the two can handoff somehow (which would surprise me).

inobe
October 19th, 2010, 12:44 AM
i certainly wouldn't sacrifice my 3-d desktop for a colorful splash screen :lol:

LinuxPhreak
October 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM
You guys are saying it is a propriotory driver. Does Ubuntu Ship with such drivers. Because I didn't install one and to be honest my Jockey-GTK doesn't show ones that are needed.

lridium
October 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM
i certainly wouldn't sacrifice my 3-d desktop for a colorful splash screen :lol:

lol, amen to that one. Though I now have the high-res splash running on shutdown, just not on boot. I'm not done yet, but I'm sure not going to break anything just for the sake of a warm-fuzzy (which lasts under 10 seconds right now anyway). I'll update if I find anything of value.

lridium
October 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/lucidubuntu-10-04-high-resolution-plymouth-virtual-terminal-for-atinvidia-cards-with-proprietaryrestricted-driver/

That got it working for me. It's not crazy fast in terms of appearance on boot, but I'll worry about that later. At least this gets me a working plymouth boot splash.