PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to use plasma-widget-translatoid.

ajinkyaghorpade
October 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi All,
I've Ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx installed. Today I installed plasma-widget-translatoid from Synaptic package manager. Now, it shows the status as installed. But how do I start the widget.

Thanks & Regards,
Ajinkya

ajinkyaghorpade
October 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Even though I h itad installed it, there is no option in Applications Menu corresponding to this widget. And there is no command in the terminal as well. Please, help me on how to start it.

ankspo71
October 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hi,
Are you trying to use it in Ubuntu's desktop? You mentioned Ubuntu twice (once in the subject prefix) so that's why I ask. If this is true, then it won't work in Ubuntu's own desktop, because it requires the KDE desktop (or Kubuntu) to be installed. If you haven't used KDE before, it sort of resembles Windows Vista or Windows 7... some images of KDE 4.5 (http://www.google.com/images?q=kde+4.5) . Anything that has plasma or plasmoid in the name is created for the kde desktop.

If you are trying to use it in the KDE desktop, then it should be there with the rest of the widgets. In KDE, right click on your panel (and unlock the widgets if necessary), then choose 'panel options', then choose 'add widgets', and you should be able to find it among the widget selection. It will be named "translator". You can then double click it to add it to the panel, or drag it onto the desktop to be used as a desktop widget.

Hope this helps.

ajinkyaghorpade
October 16th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for your reply!
I'm using Ubuntu and not Kubuntu. From your reply it seems that plasma thing wont work on My OS. I just wanted to use google translate on my desktop. So,can you/someone provide me a link for any alternative of plasma tranlatoid on ubuntu?

ankspo71
October 17th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Hi,
Unfortunately, I tried installing a few translation applications in Ubuntu Maverick last night, but I was unable to find anything that works well. The package called 'gnome-translate' is a nice and useful application but it wasn't displaying the results correctly like it used to do.

I knew google-gadgets-gtk had some translating widgets but they don't work for me. The widgets probably haven't been updated in a long time.

Lately I have been using the firefox addon called IM Translator.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2257/
It supports copying and pasting text from other applications and it also speaks the words very well too.

Hope this helps.

ajinkyaghorpade
October 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Lately I have been using the firefox addon called IM Translator.I too have it, but I'm looking for something to sit on my desktop.

Today I'll try to install google-gadgets-gtk and update whether it worked for me or not.

ajinkyaghorpade
October 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I did install google-gadgets, but none of the gadgets among those listed for translation work. :@