PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 32-bit Desktop Edition Hanging on Shutdown

Alpha Axl
October 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I installed ubuntu 10.10 and everything works perfectly, but whenever I go to shutdown/restart, after showing the ubuntu logo (just like when you log in), the logo goes away, and it just hangs/freezes there.

I've tried waiting even for 10 minutes, but nothing. It there anything I can manually edit for it to just shutdown? If it helps here is my PC...

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ER1402-05

...and to be specific the WLAN module is a Ralink RT3090. Thanks! :)

P4man
October 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Thats usually a bios/acpi issue. First thing Id do is check for a bios update. If there isnt one, or it doesnt help, you could try adding this option to your kernel:

acpi_osi=Linux

If you need help with that, let me know and Ill talk you through it.

Last thought. not really a solution, but a workaround and could be intereseting to see if it works, is "REISUO". Hold down both the alt key and the Sysrq key (=usually printscreen key) and slowly type R E I S U O (still holding alt+sysrq). replace the last O with a B for a reboot instead of a shutdown.

If you think Im not making any sense, I wont blame you, but have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

These keys also almost always work even if your system is completely frozen and unresponsive, and its a good way to shut a system down that way or reboot it, as it syncs the file system, therefore, no data loss of corruption.

Now Im assuming the shutdown proceeds far enough to have synched and unmounted the filesystem so alt+sysrq+O is probably enough, but Im not certain.

Alpha Axl
October 16th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Sorry I'm a complete newbie...how would I add that to the kernel? >_<

Thanks!

P4man
October 16th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Check for a bios update first :)

To add that boot option, there are two ways. You can do it for a single boot from the grub boot menu, or you can make it permanent by changing grub configuration files. To do it once, get the grub boot menu (if you dont have a dual boot, you may not see grub menu, if so, old down SHIFT key immediately after the bios finished).

Select the default entry and press E for edit. select the line that starts with

linux boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-.....

and press E again to edit. Press END to go to the end of the line. IT will read like

.....ro quiet splash

Just add

acpi_osi=Linux

so it looks like

.....ro quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux

Press control+x to boot. If it works, we will make it permanent. If it doesnt help, no big deal, the option will be gone next boot.

Alpha Axl
October 17th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Check for a bios update first :)

To add that boot option, there are two ways. You can do it for a single boot from the grub boot menu, or you can make it permanent by changing grub configuration files. To do it once, get the grub boot menu (if you dont have a dual boot, you may not see grub menu, if so, old down SHIFT key immediately after the bios finished).

Select the default entry and press E for edit. select the line that starts with

linux boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-.....

and press E again to edit. Press END to go to the end of the line. IT will read like

.....ro quiet splash

Just add

acpi_osi=Linux

so it looks like

.....ro quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux

Press control+x to boot. If it works, we will make it permanent. If it doesnt help, no big deal, the option will be gone next boot.
Just tried that at GRUB, and still froze/hanged at shutdown right after the ubuntu logo. By bios update do you mean update it through Windows? Or is there a way to update it in ubuntu?

Everything works perfect, but it just hangs a shutdown/restart...just drives me crazy >_< Though I did see a line saying "Checking for unattended running updates" after doing Update Manager and shutting down. Displayed that in white text after it went to a black screen. That was probably just a one time thing after updating but I figured I'd mention it.

I'm guessing the problem is just a line of code I could maybe remove somewhere?

P4man
October 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Just tried that at GRUB, and still froze/hanged at shutdown right after the ubuntu logo. By bios update do you mean update it through Windows? Or is there a way to update it in ubuntu?

Depends if your manufacturer supplies a flash utility that works from a floppy or bootcd (/usb) or if its a windows only utility. There are ways to flash under ubuntu, but you probably just want to boot good old DOS from a cd or floppy to update it.

Everything works perfect, but it just hangs a shutdown/restart...just drives me crazy >_< Though I did see a line saying "Checking for unattended running updates" after doing Update Manager and shutting down. Displayed that in white text after it went to a black screen.

So its a black screen you are looking at when its not shutting down?
What happens when you press control+alt+F1 then? If you get a full screen terminal, report what messages you see. Also you could try shutting down by opening a terminal and typing

sudo shutdown -h now

And let us know if that does work.

Last thing I can think off, is checking for drivers in system > administration > additional drivers.

I'm guessing the problem is just a line of code I could maybe remove somewhere?

LOL. No, Im afraid not. The inner workings of the kernel, bios and acpi arent as simple as you might think. Even something that on the surface of it seems utterly mundane like shutting down.