PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SSH session freezes after connecting over wifi

davidshere
October 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I am connecting from my WinXP laptop to my Ubuntu Server desktop using PUTTY. The laptop is using Wifi and the desktop is on a wire. I have a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. My session works fine for a while, and then freezes, sometimes after only a few seconds, and sometimes after many minutes. The same thing happens when I use VMWare Server Console to connect from the laptop to the desktop's virtual machines. Other connections between these machines under this setup (RDP, samba, SVN) do not experience problems. I usually do not experience problems establishing the SSH and VMWare connections.

I have ended up using Windows Remote Desktop to connect to a Windows XP virtual machine on the desktop, and opening a PUTTY session on that machine. That's a nice workaround, but it makes it so that I have to have that VM running in order to have a reliable SSH session to the box.

I also connect in the same setup (WinXP-Wifi/Ubuntu-wired with PUTTY) at work, and do not experience any problems there.

davidshere
October 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
super cow powers bump. :)

davidshere
November 6th, 2010, 01:22 AM
New Super Mario Brothers Bump

davidshere
November 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM
MarioKart for DS bump

davidshere
November 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Shopping cart bump

tbridges42
January 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have a similar issue with my setup, although my connections are reversed. My main PC is a Windows 7 box on a wire, and I'm trying to SSH into my Hardy box which is on wifi.

I can usually get 10-15 minutes of stable connection, but once it hangs on me, I have to manually reboot the Hardy box to connect again. Obviously this is less than ideal.

rogere84
October 31st, 2011, 11:50 AM
Just to confirm that this still happens in 11.10. It happens during SSH terminal sessions and SSH connections to server folders.