PDA

View Full Version : Do I need more than a 2 megapixel Camera

capink
October 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I will be buying a new digital camera. I am not going to print any of my pictures. Just share them with people on the Internet and displaying them on LCD TV.

Seeing as the most sophisticated LCD monitors can only show a maximum 2 mega-pixel (1920×1080), I figured that I will not need more than that in my camera. Am I correct? Or is there something I miscalculated.

If so, what are other criteria to distinguish good cameras from the bad ones?

I will also be buying android mobile. Are the mobile cameras any good? Or Do I need a dedicated camera?

CharlesA
October 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
The camera in my phone is a 3 MP camera but my Nikon 8MP blows it out of the water.

You can always resize and/or crop photos.

inobe
October 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
the images with the highest resolution look better and most tv's will scale images.

imagine taking a 10 megapixel and scaling it smaller, the quality of that image would increase.

get a good 10 megapixel camera.

the images can be edited with gimp to a web friendly size.

MisterGaribaldi
October 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Some thoughts...

First off, if you will NEVER EVER print your stuff (or are willing to print at fairly small sizes) then yeah, 2MP is enough. However, good luck in finding a 2MP camera these days.

Secondly, it's not just the megapixel count but the quality of the optics. In fact, I'd go so far as to say a lower MP camera with better optics will give you better results than a higher MP camera with lesser-grade optics. Also understand that when you go for the small-bodied camera (often where the lens extends out of the body during use and retracts into it when you shut the camera off) you will get, no matter how good the optics, some noticeable distortion around the periphery of the image. It is what it is.

Thirdly, most (if not all) of the current generation of Android-based smart phones have fairly decent cameras built in. I really can't comment what's out there for non-U.S. markets, but personally I own an HTC EVO 4G and I have actually been *very* happy with its 8MP main camera. Samsung's Galaxy S series (which serve as the basis for many models of Android-based phone in the U.S. and elsewhere) are reported to have a superior CCD (though I gather a little lower MP res) and are considered fantastic by owners of those phones.

gintovan
October 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Depending on which mobile you are getting, for your needs I think it will properly be more than enough.

Most new android phones with 3-5+ MP takes fine pictures for everyday use :)

macem29
October 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
looking at new cameras I'd be surprised if you can find find a 2MP...low end point and shoot units are at at least 7MP now.... I've never seen a camera phone worthy of full time use, most have no flash so are useless in low light, most are slow to respond so useless for catching anything that moves.....you could get a decent 8MP with SD storage and a recharbable lithium battery <$100...the battery part is important, I'd strongly recommend against anything without it's own rechargeable lithium battery

KiwiNZ
October 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Phone cameras have very limited use , good for taking a snap to message to some one etc. but if you want to take photos to keep and especially to display on a television get a dedicated Digital Camera.

I have a 18 Megapixel Digital SLR the results are awesome. Remember when you take a digital photo its about the quantity and quality of data you record at the time of the shot that can be adjusted later. Get it wrong at the shot and no amount of adjustment with Photoshop or Gimp will correct it.

NightwishFan
October 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Phone cameras have very limited use , good for taking a snap to message to some one etc. but if you want to take photos to keep and especially to display on a television get a dedicated Digital Camera.

I have a 18 Megapixel Digital SLR the results are awesome. Remember when you take a digital photo its about the quantity and quality of data you record at the time of the shot that can be adjusted later. Get it wrong at the shot and no amount of adjustment with Photoshop or Gimp will correct it.

I agree with this.

johntaylor1887
October 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Considering I bought a 12MP Nikon for $89, it doesn't make sense to buy a 2MP camera. You are better off just spending what you can afford, and you will probably get a cam with 6 or more MP. In other words, don't worry about the megapixels, worry about your wallet.

capink
October 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I will go for a dedicated camera.

I know that I cannot find a 2 mega pixel camera now. When I said 2 Mega-pixel what I meant is whether it is the most important aspect when evaluating a camera.

For the phone I am leaning towards htc wildfire. It got a low resolution screen but I am fine with it.

Thank you again for all your input.

MisterGaribaldi
October 16th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Yeah, generally I'd agree with this. Besides, with a digital camera, you can put it on a tripod. Cell phones don't come with mounts. ;)

Wow, you must be into some decent photography there, my friend. I totally agree with what you said about a wrong shot being uncorrectable. That's why pros take tons and tons of photos and sort through them afterward.

Considering I bought a 12MP Nikon for $89, it doesn't make sense to buy a 2MP camera. You are better off just spending what you can afford, and you will probably get a cam with 6 or more MP. In other words, don't worry about the megapixels, worry about your wallet.

Yep; I totally agree with this. It's like trying to buy a single-core CPU-based computer, or a computer with only 1GB of RAM. Even if you *could* do it, financially why would you *want* to?

nothingspecial
October 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I will be buying a new digital camera. I am not going to print any of my pictures. Just share them with people on the Internet and displaying them on LCD TV.

Seeing as the most sophisticated LCD monitors can only show a maximum 2 mega-pixel (1920×1080), I figured that I will not need more than that in my camera. Am I correct? Or is there something I miscalculated.

If so, what are other criteria to distinguish good cameras from the bad ones?

I will also be buying android mobile. Are the mobile cameras any good? Or Do I need a dedicated camera?

You haven`t said what you intend to do with the camera. Are you serious, or are you just taking snaps (not that taking snaps cannot be serious).

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Some thoughts...

First off, if you will NEVER EVER print your stuff (or are willing to print at fairly small sizes) then yeah, 2MP is enough. However, good luck in finding a 2MP camera these days.

Secondly, it's not just the megapixel count but the quality of the optics. In fact, I'd go so far as to say a lower MP camera with better optics will give you better results than a higher MP camera with lesser-grade optics. Also understand that when you go for the small-bodied camera (often where the lens extends out of the body during use and retracts into it when you shut the camera off) you will get, no matter how good the optics, some noticeable distortion around the periphery of the image. It is what it is.

Exactly. Which is why small devices that include cameras (phones) have very inferior pictures compared to an actual stande-alone camera of the same MegaPixel rating.