PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 Installation: Can not mount /dev/loop0

Ningamer
October 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I've used Ubuntu occasionally over the past couple of years, and now I want to install it to my Dell Dimension 3100 that's just been lying around, being slow. I've burnt a CD (i376 Desktop) and shoved it in the drive and I can access the menu fine. However, when I try to do anything (Test Ubuntu, install Ubuntu, Check disk for errors) I get a problem. The little five-dot-loading-screen-thing with stay up for a long time, before finally the screen turning black and telling me this:

BusyBox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.15.3-1ubunty5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

{initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error
Can no mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.sqyashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Could someone possibly help me out here, please? Thanks!

dunnwjr
October 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
This has been a problem with pretty much every distro of ubuntu. It seems it has something to do with particular CDROM drives.

Many users have had better luck installing from USB. I recommend using unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) to make a bootable USB, or follow the USB instructions on ubuntu.com

Please let us know how this works out for you.

Will

Ningamer
October 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Alright, it seems to be working fine now. It's currently installing, and I haven't encountered any problems so far! Thanks a lot!

prince1099
October 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Yes, But this USB Trick does not help any of us, that Don't have a USB capable ROM on the Machine. We are stuck with CD and this Bug.
What can we do to install even the NEWEST UBUNTU 10.10 and still get this CD Rom Error?
-
Busybox v1.15.3 Still craps out with not being able to mount /dev/loop0 off /cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs

/ any Ideas?

This has been a problem with pretty much every distro of ubuntu. It seems it has something to do with particular CDROM drives.

Many users have had better luck installing from USB. I recommend using unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) to make a bootable USB, or follow the USB instructions on ubuntu.com

Please let us know how this works out for you.

Will

prince1099
October 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
More Problems with UBUNTU
-
Now I wanted to install it on a newer machine, but it throws even more errors. I dont want to be a Geek at this time, just wanted to test any install like the public out there. But Ubuntu 10.10 craps out even on a newer machine:
-
Both on Windows 7 and another Vista Machine:

Ubuntu Installer:
An Error Occurred
-
Permission Denied
-
For more information, please see the log file:
c:\users\home\appdata\local\temp\wubi-10.10-rev197.log

prince1099
October 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Looks like it cannot punch through to ask Windows (7 or Vista) to squirt out a Box to the User to "ask for Permission"
-
Like Windows installation programs do, but Ubuntu here just swallows the error quietly, and craps out on a "internal" permission error.
-
10-17 07:44 DEBUG WindowsBackend: Copying C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\pyl91CB.tmp\data\ custom-installation -> C:\ubuntu\install\custom-installation
10-17 07:44 DEBUG WindowsBackend: Copying C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\pyl91CB.tmp\winbo ot -> C:\ubuntu\winboot
10-17 07:44 DEBUG WindowsBackend: Copying C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\pyl91CB.tmp\data\ images\Ubuntu.ico -> C:\ubuntu\Ubuntu.ico
10-17 07:44 DEBUG TaskList: ## Finished copy_installation_files
10-17 07:44 DEBUG TaskList: ## Running get_iso...
10-17 07:44 DEBUG TaskList: New task copy_file
10-17 07:44 DEBUG TaskList: ### Running copy_file...
10-17 07:47 ERROR TaskList: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 197, in __call__
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\utils.py", line 208, in copy_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
10-17 07:47 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
10-17 07:47 DEBUG TaskList: New task check_iso
10-17 07:47 ERROR root: [Errno 13] Permission denied
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 56, in run
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 128, in select_task
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 194, in run_cd_menu
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 118, in select_task
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 156, in run_installer
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\utils.py", line 208, in copy_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
10-17 07:47 DEBUG CommonBackend: Searching for local ISO
10-17 07:47 DEBUG CommonBackend: Could not find any ISO or CD, downloading one now
10-17 07:47 DEBUG TaskList: New task get_metalink
10-17 07:47 ERROR TaskList: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 492, in get_iso
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 330, in download_iso
Exception: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
10-17 07:47 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
10-17 07:47 DEBUG TaskList: # Finished tasklist

feonx
October 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I have the same issue. But I also found this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=49868&start=0

Maybe its fixable by changing the boot order?
(I can't try it lost my bios password lol)

jdieter
January 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Tore my hair out on this one. My fix was to use the alternate install CD. Worked like a champ.

ukvikas
March 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
This was the message I got too.. but strangely, i found that the ISO file size was only 113MB and Chrome reported that the file downloaded fully! I could also boot to the initial Ubuntu loading screen with it, so never suspected it.

Anyway, downloading the ISO again. Will report back if successful!

ukvikas
March 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yes! the above step worked! Re-downloaded the file and now I can boot using the Live CD.
Hope that helps.

alreadyinuse
March 27th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I too had a corrupt (too short) disk image appear to fully download, using Safari on OS X. If there is any bug here, it is in the web server software, for I can't recall this happening before on downloads from elsewhere. Identical error, which is how I googled this page. Went away, after downloading a good iso file.

USB stick installs are great once they work. A bit of a chicken and egg problem, as the easiest way is to make a stick on an already working Ubuntu.

The alternate CD is always a good idea to try. Here, it worked because the iso image wasn't corrupt, not because it had different drivers.

suryasaha
October 26th, 2011, 02:24 AM
See reply in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1556602&page=5

ericmarcel
May 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I had this error too. I simply rebooted the computer from the same cd: and it worked !