PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] An alternate approach to Ubuntu installation

kutalion
October 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hi to all you Ubuntu geeks

I'm having a laptop here which is nearly dead already but I'm stuck with it because of financial reasons. And so. Recently my hard drive broke down after about 4 weeks of overheat work (about 100 - 130 degrees C). Since that day I'm forced to use Puppy Linux as it loaded the way I want it but recently I came up with a better idea which could return me to my favorite - Ubuntu.
My idea is to install Ubuntu on my USB flash. This could be just perfect solution if I just could load from USB flash. So I need to "lead" the boot to find the USB. This should happen either through persistence (like Puppy did, but Ubuntu could not find the persistence file or the whole persistence flash). So I'm looking for a way to install the boot loader to a CD. I read about mkbootdisk but it wasn't present in the Ubuntu instalation I did and neither it was in the repository or I was able to find a .deb package for it. (In particular I'm trying to install Lubuntu, since Ubuntu itself needs more space that my 4Gigs flash can offer)
Any help about this case or is it hopeless and I'm stuck with the quite annoying Puppy feel?

Thanks for you help!

kutalion
October 22nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
Don't bother anymore, thanks. I've found it. Finally a solution that might come handy (and eventually really solve my problems). It's called PLoP Boot Manager. For all of you that are interested in booting from USB without BIOS capable of this here it is: PLoP (http://www.plop.at/)