PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching from UNR to eeebuntu...any issues?

cwklinuxguy
October 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hey guys. When I first got my netbook, I knew that there has a special distribution designed for this line of laptops, but I could never find it. In total curiosity I did some googling last night and finally found what I'm looking for. The netbook is currently running UNR, and I'm thinking about replacing that by backing stuff up on Ubuntu One and then just installing the other distro. There are already Linux partitions being used by Ubuntu, so will it overwrite those or is it gonna try to wipe the drive or what? I'm keeping Windows on their to retain my hardware warranty. Thanks.

lemming465
October 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM
What happens at a disk partitioning step is very flexible; it depends on your choices. In your case things are complicated enough that you should pick "manual" partitioning, and then do whatever you want. A typical choice in your situation would be keep the existing partition layout, but reformat them with fresh filesystems (which will destroy any existing data contents, so have backups of anything you care about.)