PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] RIght clicking in Unity

therieb
October 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have been unable to right click on icons in the Unity desktop in Maverick Netbook Remix. I was hoping to add applications to the new launch bar, but the only way I can do that is opening an application and then right clicking in the launcher and choosing "Keep this in the launcher." That doesn't work, however, for applications that launch in full screen. In fact, I can't right click on anything on the Unity desktop, so if I want to launch a file with an application other than the default I need to go to the application first. What a pain! When I right click on an icon in Unity it briefly flashes white and then does nothing. Any help appreciated!

zachin2036
October 17th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I've got the right-click problem also. Right click on the touchpad just acts like a left click...or most of the time, no click at all. I did see solutions in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1388164&highlight=hp+netbook+click

But I'm afraid they don't "fix" the issue so much as provide a workaround. Seems like some people had this problem in 10.04, and some have it in 10.10 - but not necessarily the same people. In 10.04, right click worked for me, but now it won't in 10.10. Ain't that a B'?

So...check out the thread I linked to and see if that works for you...it seems like all we've got right now!

(I'm running 10.10 on an HP netbook)

therieb
October 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the reply zachin2036. I had no trouble in 10.04, and when I use the "2D" version of 10.10 everything works perfectly. I'm therefore assuming my problem has something to do with the interaction of my mouse with Unity. You're right about the thread, more of a workaround, and I'm just trying to use the right mouse button on my Asus netbook. I'm hoping for a package update to fix the problem.

therieb
October 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hello again everybody,

Sorry that I couldn't get all of my information correctly in one post, BUT... My Asus 1005PE does right click successfully from within applications, Firefox fox example. I can also right click on the launcher in Unity. Where I can't right click is on the desktop or whatever they are calling the place where the applications show up. So that's the deal. This is not a mouse function problem. The button works fine unless I'm trying to work with icons on the desktop.

kerry_s
October 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Hello again everybody,

Sorry that I couldn't get all of my information correctly in one post, BUT... My Asus 1005PE does right click successfully from within applications, Firefox fox example. I can also right click on the launcher in Unity. Where I can't right click is on the desktop or whatever they are calling the place where the applications show up. So that's the deal. This is not a mouse function problem. The button works fine unless I'm trying to work with icons on the desktop.

mutter does not have right click actions yet.

therieb
October 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the information Kerry_S. I guess that means I'll have to be patient? Are there plans for getting the right click to work in mutter soon? Where is the best place to go to track mutter's progress?