PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] If upgrade ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 will i lose current setting and theme?

AAHUYN
October 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hey guys I have been using ubuntu for about a month now. Very happy with the switch from windows. Trying to learn as much as possible. I know that they officially released 10.10 and I read up on some post about upgrading.. The only thing i'm worrying about is that I got this theme i'm really like and it would be a waste if i upgrade and lose it all.. and have to do everything over.. If I do a upgrade will it keep things the way it is?

LatinHacker
October 16th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hey guys I have been using ubuntu for about a month now. Very happy with the switch from windows. Trying to learn as much as possible. I know that they officially released 10.10 and I read up on some post about upgrading.. The only thing i'm worrying about is that I got this theme i'm really like and it would be a waste if i upgrade and lose it all.. and have to do everything over.. If I do a upgrade will it keep things the way it is?

Somethings will, I did noticed that things like Compiz will be lost. And because this is a new version, you would need to install the appropriate version. But, if you are talking about desktop wallpaper, colors, etc, those can be backed up, and this can be tricky, it can be done. just copy the hidden folders "./" on your home folder.

There is a catch with this though, some programs, in the new version, could remember your old settings which might conflict with the new system. In this case, just delete the folder of the application creating the conflict.

I hope it helps.

Cmdt. LH10 of the LatinHacker Group,
Media Guerrilla fighters in the Idealogical Front