PDA

View Full Version : Linux != Windows - Is it out of date?

chessnerd
October 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Perhaps one of the most well know, intelligent, thought out, and well written pieces on the differences between Windows and Linux (and why users should or should not use Linux), this CC-licensed document graces many a signature here on the forums and shows up in many posts as a response to typical "Linux can't do 'x'" threads.

However, it is four and a half years old.

It was made before Vista and Ubuntu 6.06 graced the world. It came out even before KDE 4 and when Gnome 2 was still going through its growing pains. OpenOffice was still at version 2.0 and Firefox was at 1.5. There were far fewer drivers, no iPod support, and Grub 2 was years away from stability. It was a very different time for Linux and for Windows.

I feel like the general idea is still very true. Linux is not Windows, people do expect that and walk away disappointed, the Linux culture is unexpected, etc. However, some points are less true now. For example, there is a part in Problem 5b about playing audio files and ripping CDs that expects the command-line to be a factor. Why wouldn't it? This was before players like Rhythmbox and Amarok were good, but they are now.

So, my question is: is this resource out of date or does it still feel relevant? Should it no longer be referenced, should it be updated, or is it fine the way it is?

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 16th, 2010, 07:20 AM
When I say that I'm not addressing that article. It is an obvious statement that holds true whether you have an explanation behind it or not.

chessnerd
October 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
When I say that I'm not addressing that article. It is an obvious statement that holds true whether you have an explanation behind it or not.

I agree, the statement is still very true. Linux is not Windows, nor will it be, nor should it be. However, many times here on the forums it is accompanied by a link to that article, which is getting a bit dated.

It will be a sad day if the statement Linux != Windows becomes false...

if (linux == windows || linux == mac_os)
. chessnerd.cry();

blueturtl
October 16th, 2010, 09:12 AM
That's funny. Based on my memory of reading it the last time I had some kind of qualms with the article. Now, upon reading it again, I find I pretty much agree with it.

Has it been recently edited?

Too bad I already voted.

3rdalbum
October 16th, 2010, 01:32 PM
From what I remember of the article, it is a little bit out-of-date. Compiling software is almost never necessary, except for drivers. And I think the chances are better that the user will not need any tweaking to get their system to actually work.

Spr0k3t
October 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM
The article in question is out of date yes... however, the term "Linux != Windows" is still very much true in the full sense of the phrase.

goldenbrown
October 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Ubuntu 10.10 was not even nearly what people was ecspaced theirs no Gnome shell.Their little diffirents from Ubuntu 10.4

Half-Left
October 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Ubuntu 10.10 was not even nearly what people was ecspaced theirs no Gnome shell.Their little diffirents from Ubuntu 10.4

People always go on about polish and 10.10 is more polished.