PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Fonts on Chromium

craig10x
October 16th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I was just curious...those who have installed 10.10 ubuntu or kubuntu...what is your opinion as far as using the Ubuntu Fonts on Chromium web browser?

Have you tried it in there? Did you like it better or not as much as the normal "default" fonts used in Chromium?

craig10x
October 17th, 2010, 12:50 AM
No one here has tried them? I set the fonts in Chromium to the Ubuntu fonts but didn't see any difference from the defaults...but then i noticed there is an extension that you have to use in Chromium to make it work?
Anyone explore this???

ubunterooster
October 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
They only seemed slightly different to me. An annoyance for a day, after which I forgot it was even different.

3Miro
October 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Chromium does strange stuff with fonts sometimes. I don't even know how it works, but unless I mess with default settings, I find that Chromium looks good enough for me. Ubuntu in general has great default fonts for all apps.

craig10x
October 19th, 2010, 04:33 AM
So are you guys actually using the new ubuntu fonts in your Chrome/Chromium?

I was playing with it today (added the extension) it certainly gives it an interesting and uniform "look" throughout all the pages you surf...

Seemed strange also that you have to install an extension to get the ubuntu fonts to work on Chrome...but once i did...there it was...

One can also easily turn it off by disabling the extension....

But i was also curious if you guys are actively using it for your web surfing in Chrome...

ubunterooster
October 19th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I don't use Chromium "actively"

I just use it to tinker with...

cariboo
October 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM
This thread will be better off in the Cafe.

Giant Speck
October 19th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Chromium does strange stuff with fonts sometimes. I don't even know how it works, but unless I mess with default settings, I find that Chromium looks good enough for me. Ubuntu in general has great default fonts for all apps.
I hate how big the fonts are in Chromium's interface. The font sizes are alright in webpages, but the font size for tabs and the bookmarks bar is huge!

.:PiXiČ:.
October 19th, 2010, 09:59 AM
The "new" Ubuntu fonts look great in Chromium!
The size of the fonts don't change when I choose another font as "application font" or "window title" font.

koleoptero
October 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM
i hate how big the fonts are in chromium's interface. The font sizes are alright in webpages, but the font size for tabs and the bookmarks bar is huge!

+1,000,000.1

TBABill
October 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I like how they look in Chromium! I installed the Ubuntu font in 10.04 and I really like it throughout the distro after making font changes.

craig10x
October 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I'm using it now myself in Chromium...i think i am really beginning to like it a lot....not only is it very distinctive looking, when using the extension for the fonts, it gives all web pages a very "unified" look which is kind of cool...and also it seems to be easier on the eyes...especially when it comes to small type that you sometimes get on web pages...:)

I see they have moved the thread to cafe....all comments and feedback will be welcome...

In case you aren't aware, in order to get the ubuntu fonts in Chrome/Chromium you need to install the Ubuntu Fonts Extension which you can easily find by typing "Ubuntu Font" into the search bar at the Google extension site...

Of course, you already have to have the fonts installed...which means you are running ubuntu or kubuntu 10.10 or have downloaded them for an earlier version...

Once installed, it will be enabled and make the switch without your changing you fonts in Chrome...you can regulate font size still though within the Chrome font setting and it will function (i kick mine up a point from 16 to 17 which helps on many web pages i find)...

And you can turn it off by clicking on "disable" in the extension and also easily remove the extension as well...

So, it is quite easy to test out...and if you do...let me know what you think!