PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Parallel partitions for Jaunty and Lucid

techiewannabe
October 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I have been using Jaunty for quite a while and am pretty happy with it. However, it is no longer supported and I'm interested in using Lucid.

Recently I had to replace my hard drive. I put Lucid on the system and have had a lot of trouble with it. It keeps freezing up on me. In reading the postings of others, I found that I wasn't alone with this problem. So...I put Jaunty back on my system, creating a separate partition for it. Shortly, thereafter, I learned that the partition for Jaunty was quite small while the partition for Lucid was quite large. I know that resizing the partitions is not rocket science but before I do that I would like to get some ideas about partitioning my system.

I plan to continue using Jaunty while I work out the kinks with Lucid. Eventually, I expect to use Lucid exclusively.

I know that I could get a partitioning program and resize everything. But, I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. Some questions I have are:
a) what are some good partitioning programs?
b) with a 320 gig hard drive, and 4 gig of ram, what is the best way to partition, taking into account swap space, and (at least) two Ubuntu operating systems.
c) how many partitions could I put on the drive. (For example, I might want to play with another distro on a different partition.)
Any ideas would be appreciated.

mörgæs
October 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Since 9.04 is (soon to be) unsupported and 10.04 does not work well, wasn't it better to try 9.10 and 10.10?

techiewannabe
October 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM
morges:

Thanks for your note.

I didn't look into 9.10 because I assumed that Lucid was supposed to be even better (and it was an LTS).

Do you know if they are having problems with 10.10?

Thanks.

Techiewannabe.

mörgæs
October 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I didn't look into 9.10 because I assumed that Lucid was supposed to be even better (and it was an LTS).

For Ubuntu, one can not assume that new means better. The four supported versions are very different and should all be an equal candidate for installation. You need to test on your particular machine which is better.

Do you know if they are having problems with 10.10?

Well, you are in the biggest Ubuntu forum on the web. Take a look around!