PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] HELP! "Desktop effects could not be enabled" after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

HQiu
October 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
The desktop visual effect cannot be activated after I upgraded my Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10. No matter "Normal", "Extra" or "Custom" option I selected in Visual Effects tab of the Appearance Preferences dialog box, the "can not be enabled" warning shows up. But I can enabled the Extra desktop visual effect under Ubuntu 10.04.
My video card is nVidia m105, and my laptop is Thinkpad SL400. I tried to add my user account to the "gdm", "video" etc, but I got the same error message.
So I came here to ask for your help.

HQiu
October 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Also, I think I've updated the video driver to the latest version ("nvidia-current") using command "sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade". I also installed the compiz using "sudo apt-get install compiz-*". But it seemed that was not working.

3Miro
October 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Try going to the hardware center (Sys -> Admin -> Hardware), then remove the Nvidia driver, reboot and activate the driver again.

HQiu
October 16th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Try going to the hardware center (Sys -> Admin -> Hardware), then remove the Nvidia driver, reboot and activate the driver again.
Thanks for your reply. I already did this before I went here, but that didn't help.

Bluebearbevis
October 16th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Hello,

I too reached this point. Then I went to Ubuntu Tweak and enabled x Updates stable. It gave me 5 nVidiia driver updates which I installed. Alas, to not avail. In a related issue, even though additional drivers tells me it is installed and activated, extras won't work in visual effects. Is this one of those just waits?
Thanks, Richard

HQiu
October 16th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Hello,

I too reached this point. Then I went to Ubuntu Tweak and enabled x Updates stable. It gave me 5 nVidiia driver updates which I installed. Alas, to not avail. In a related issue, even though additional drivers tells me it is installed and activated, extras won't work in visual effects. Is this one of those just waits?
Thanks, Richard

Yes, I also enabled the x-updates source list in Ubuntu Tweak, but it gave me nothing new when I click Sync or Refresh button.

HQiu
October 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
SOLVED!

Anyone having the problem similar with mine, please refer to the Ubuntu Tweak Bug Reporting: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak/+bug/653933. Please read the #16 reply. It helped me out anyway.

Thank you!

TroyDowling
December 8th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Thank you. I was having the exact same problem. I figured it couldn't be the driver but was stumped to what it was. Here is the comment from above that fixes the issue.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak/+bug/653933/comments/16

hlnguyen21
January 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM
The post you refer to says the following:

Please go to "Package Cleaner"->"Purge PPAs", purge the "Compiz PPA", it will fix this problem.

Sorry for this newbish question.. but how do I "go to Package Cleaner" ??

Thanks !

roguebuck
January 18th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I had this exact issue moving from 10.04 to 10.10 when it was released. I had tried purging all nvidia packages and re-installing nvidia-current, but what worked in the end was installing the latest driver off the nvidia site, not nvidia-current.

hlnguyen21
January 19th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hey, could you walk me through step-by-step how to do this?

(btw, I'm terrible w/ computers)

roguebuck
January 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM
no, but this site can:

http://ubuntuguide.net/install-latest-nvidia-graphics-drivers-in-ubuntu-linux

stupidCloud
January 20th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Please go to "Package Cleaner"->"Purge PPAs", purge the "Compiz PPA", it will fix this problem.

Thanks !

You can use

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:compiz/ppa
But this seem not work for me:

$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:compiz/ppa
PPA to be removed: compiz ppa
Warning: Could not find package list for PPA: compiz ppa
Thanks.

TheCadaver
April 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM
You can use

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:compiz/ppa
But this seem not work for me:

Thanks.

I can't find the package cleaner, and when i do this, i still don't get my visual effects back. is there anything to do after i do all of this? i don't get any error messages either, in the terminal.

TheCadaver
April 20th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I can't find the package cleaner, and when i do this, i still don't get my visual effects back. is there anything to do after i do all of this? i don't get any error messages either, in the terminal.

...Nevermind, i found it, in ubuntu tweak, but it didn't do anything. should i reboot?

EDIT: Nope, it did nothing. What happens is, when i click one of the visual effects options, it get a screen saying "searching for drivers...". then, i get the message stating i cannot enable desktop effects... what to do :/

growlf
April 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Following the instructions (at http://ubuntuguide.net/install-latest-nvidia-graphics-drivers-in-ubuntu-linux) as advised above, worked for me on multiple machines. Two were upgraded from 10.04 and had the issue and one was a fresh install to 10.10.

mickeoliver
April 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Thank you so much, this helped me out too! I did have some problems at the command line thing (I'm a noob, I know ;) ) put I figured it out eventually! :p

Parikx
May 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks !

haha...u need to install Ubuntu tweak and then inside it u can see the option Package Cleaner

Dimath
July 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
You can use

Thanks.

I had this error and in my case the PPA was simply switched OFF in the repository list. Switching in ON resolved the problem.

profficv
December 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hello there!
Am super new to Ubuntu but i love write developing and solve things with or without help!

Last Weekend i met the "Desktop Effects could not be activated" then spending some hours fighting and surfing for help i decide start analyze the problem then synaptic show me that an action mine did this:

Commit Log for Fri Dec 7 16:44:30 2012

Removed the following packages:
compiz-dev
libcompizconfig0-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev
libgl1-mesa-glx
libglu1-mesa-dev
libqt3-mt-dev
////////////////////////////////////

I came back today and in synaptic, i just installed again "compiz-dev and
libcompizconfig0-dev" and the problem was gone, it worked smooth, maybe the other libs involved had cause the problem bcouse u don't need dev stuffs to make things work, i guess i don't know.

and the desktop effects is working perfect!

oldos2er
December 11th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Old thread closed.