PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4

sandyd
October 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I just picked up a 1GHz powermac G4 (litterally, off the street)
Unfortunately, the guy who dumped it out did not dump out the keyboard/mouse either.

They also yanked out the HD.
I was going to install debian on it, but seeing as the mac doesnt register my USB keyboard on bootup, I cannot press the "C" key that is needed to make the mac boot to cd.

any ideas?

samalex
October 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
It should pick-up any USB keyboard and mouse, so if you try two or three with no luck then the thing was probably dumped for a reason. As for no hard drive if there's at least a CD-ROM you should be able to boot from it, though I think Ubuntu 7 was the last one I saw that supported the PowerPC processor. There are others though...

But if you can get it going, it'll make a nice box to play with.

Sam

sandyd
October 15th, 2010, 11:40 PM
It should pick-up any USB keyboard and mouse, so if you try two or three with no luck then the thing was probably dumped for a reason. As for no hard drive if there's at least a CD-ROM you should be able to boot from it, though I think Ubuntu 7 was the last one I saw that supported the PowerPC processor. There are others though...

But if you can get it going, it'll make a nice box to play with.

Sam
looks like it works after all.
and it apparently doesnt like the super keyboard I normally use on my computer.....
however, a generic one works fine and its now installing debian minimal :D