PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Open Anything Under Places Menu

steven.smith
October 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Hey there people!
I have a VPS with Ubuntu 9.04 and have been messing around with Ubuntu Desktop. This problem has been going on for awhile now, but only recently did I care enough to actually dig deeper into it.

The thing is, I can't access any of the folders under "Places" and various other settings on the desktop. What happens is everytime I click on it, a bar opens on the taskbar saying "Opening [example]" and then it disappears and the program/folder doesn't open up. For example, when I click on Places--->Music, a "Opening Music" bar appears for about 10 seconds and then simply disappears. Nothing opens up, no error messages. I've looked around and haven't been able to find a suitable answer, which is why I'm asking it here.

I automatically assumed the problem was Nautilus, so when I ran the command it came up with this error:

Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".*
Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":1.0".

(nautilus:3700): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume
monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.HalVolumeMonitor is not supported

(nautilus:3700): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume
monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor is not supported

** (nautilus:3700): WARNING **: Failed to initialize hal : (null)

process 3700: Attempt to remove filter function 0x7f251f9d1df0 user data
0xa9e840, but no such filter has been added
libhal.c 3126 : LibHalContext *ctx is NULL
Segmentation fault

The same error happens when I try to open a folder with Gnome. I tried reinstalling hal but that didn't make a difference either.

So does anybody know the problem and how to solve it? I wouldn't have posted this if I hadn't already tried everything else I could think of. I really appreciate anyone that can help me with this.

* Thanks in advance for all your help

henpecked412
December 4th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Hey there people!
I have a VPS with Ubuntu 9.04 and have been messing around with Ubuntu Desktop. This problem has been going on for awhile now, but only recently did I care enough to actually dig deeper into it.

The thing is, I can't access any of the folders under "Places" and various other settings on the desktop. What happens is everytime I click on it, a bar opens on the taskbar saying "Opening [example]" and then it disappears and the program/folder doesn't open up. For example, when I click on Places--->Music, a "Opening Music" bar appears for about 10 seconds and then simply disappears. Nothing opens up, no error messages. I've looked around and haven't been able to find a suitable answer, which is why I'm asking it here.

I automatically assumed the problem was Nautilus, so when I ran the command it came up with this error:

The same error happens when I try to open a folder with Gnome. I tried reinstalling hal but that didn't make a difference either.

So does anybody know the problem and how to solve it? I wouldn't have posted this if I hadn't already tried everything else I could think of. I really appreciate anyone that can help me with this.

* Thanks in advance for all your help

iv got same problem