PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] file manager lags extremely?

SRTS
October 15th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi, when I open a folder that has just a few files, like 80 songs or videos, the file manager in Ubuntu 10.10 will already take like 5 to 10 seconds shuffling and sorting them around until I can only twiddle thumbs and wait till it's done so I can click on a file. O.O

why is it broken? I think a file manager on a core2 duo shouldnt really take more than a fraction of a second for < 100 files, it's extremely annoying to have to wait after nearly EVERY bloody folder change.. like, home folder -> download folder..WAIIIIT..->up again->WAAAAAAAAAIT->music folder..->WAITFOREVER..etc. This file mangager is a bad joke, not real software.

Does anyone know if I can change file manager to another program, and which one is good or at least working? thanks a lot in advance!

Isyaltut
October 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I don't really know what cause your problem is, but I have a tips to speed things up while open up a folder which have a really a lot of number of items.

Open File Manager, click edit-preferences-preview. And then change the "count number of items" to never.

SRTS
October 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I don't really know what cause your problem is, but I have a tips to speed things up while open up a folder which have a really a lot of number of items.

Open File Manager, click edit-preferences-preview. And then change the "count number of items" to never.

Good idea actually. This didn't help, but I could fix it when I also set "show preview" to "never"! Now folders actually load fast and don't switch/sort stuff around for a minute.
Great!