PDA

View Full Version : Diving in over my head, could I get a pointer toward shore

dhysk
October 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I've wanted to learn programming for some time now and have gone threw a few tutorials. The latest one being C++ tutorial web site. The problem is at the end I don't have anything worth spending my time on to actually program. So I have a theoretical knowledge of C++ programing in general, but no real knowledge.

So I decided to try to add functionality to the HomeBank program I've been using to do budgeting. Great simple tool I just want it to link transactions to scanned in receipts. It's written in C, I think, and uses GTK+ libraries for the interface.

This will probably take me some time but at least I have a project. Problem is I know nothing about GTK+ or C. Although C looks a lot like C++ thankfully.

So how should I start? Should I just make a program that can display links to files that opens them once clicked?

I know starting off with something like this may be a bit hard but i need something that is worth spending time on little currency calculators and joke books may teach programing but aren't enough to keep my interest.

Syndacate
October 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Look at the structure of the program and look for similar actions to what you want, and how they were done in the existing project. Based on that, you should be able to formulate a basis of where you need to put the code, and what you need to write in order to get what you want. I realize you may not think this is much help, but it's pretty much the best shot you have at adding to a program without somebody telling you the what and the where. You need to kind of look for something similar, or where it's done else-where, and find out the what and the how for that.

bouncingwilf
October 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Maybe this will help
Linux Headquarters: Introduction to GTK+ Programming (http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/programming/gtk_examples/)

ouncingwilf

dhysk
October 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Just the sort of stuff I'm looking for Syndicate. I'm just having trouble finding certain things in the program for example the add button, or ware the window for the add transaction is programmed. I tried searching the program for key words like the window name in this case Add transaction.

Am I wrong to assume that some ware the programmer had to write "Add transaction" some ware and have it associated with that window?

I'm using Code::Blocks as the IDE.