PDA

View Full Version : How do you listen to your music?

undecim
October 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Lately, I've found myself wondering how people can listen to that simple, repetitive pop/pop-rock music like you hear on the radio a lot (in the US, at least).

Though I've realized that I listen to my music differently than most people. Everyone I know listens to their music passively. I.e., they don't sit down specifically to listen to music, pay attention to the song, and appreciate it. (Not that there's anything wrong with that; don't get me wrong). They use the music as a sort of psychological aid when doing other activities (like athletes that listen to a certain song to "pump them up" while getting ready for a game)

I, on the other hand, immerse myself, doing little to nothing else when listening, sometimes with the lyrics up in my browser to supplement the experience. Other than that, I don't listen to music much while browsing the web, or doing anything else (except driving). Pretty much, I listen to music like I watch movies. Naturally, I tend to prefer more complex music because of this, though sometimes I listen to instrumental electronic music for a sort of meditative experience.

Elfy
October 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I have music on more or less constantly so I tend to need to do other things at the same time. Depending on what is going on at the time I might be actually listening to it to the exclusion of anything else.

sydbat
October 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I listen with my ears!

I chose 'both' because that's what I do. Sometimes it is nice background to the work I am doing and helps me concentrate. Other times I actively listen because the music/lyrics/both speak to me.

I hate the top 40 crap you mention that plays on top 40 radio. Always have. I do not listen to it, unless I am forced because I am in a store (for example).

nothingspecial
October 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I have it on all the time, streaming round the house.

I will immerse myself in it, at bed time.

My wife says I`m the only man in the world who will listen to hard core punk during the drive to a hotel then put Chopin on when we get there....... surely not?

RiceMonster
October 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM
The sound waves enter my ears, which are then transmitted my brain from my ear drums.

Frogs Hair
October 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I listen passively unless it hinders concentration . I use CDs , Rhythm box , Last .fm and AOL Radio. I listen to a lot of instrumental rock and jazz fusion being a guitar nut.

themarker0
October 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I just pop on the ehadphones and to the song that is my mood. Who knows it could be from Gothic Metal, to Thrash, to Doom, To pop, (Like good pop, counting crows :P) Indie,(Pedro the Lion) to punk/indie/rock/whatever it is(Thrice :P) emo(The used) etc.

Its the lyrics that count eh.

nothingspecial
October 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
The sound waves enter my ears, which are then transmitted my brain from my ear drums.

The sound waves transmit your brain from your eardrums?

You are listening to some freaky stuff........ Hawkwind?

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM
It depends. Sometimes I listen to music to enjoy it. Other times it's just kind of on in the background.

RiceMonster
October 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM

You know it.

Elfy
October 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
You'd better believe it surely

nothingspecial
October 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
You'd better believe it surely

It`s so easy to say.

gintovan
October 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I'm one of the few people nowadays that can actually live without music in my ears 24/7 :P
I do listen to some net-radio while browsing my usual forums, news sites and so on (like now). But that's about it.

BrokenKingpin
October 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
For the most part I passively listening to music, mainly while programming and other tasks on the computer, driving, and playing video games.

I do have friends over once in a while where we just sit and listen to music though.

Swagman
October 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm one of the few people nowadays that can actually live without music in my ears 24/7 :P
I do listen to some net-radio while browsing my usual forums, news sites and so on (like now). But that's about it.

You're not the only one. I drive a truck for 8 hours a night and I only ever switch on the radio every other hour to listen to the news.

I used to take my own cd's with me but kept leaving them in the truck and as I drive a different truck nearly every night I don't get them back !!

KegHead
October 15th, 2010, 09:33 PM
w/ears.

Xianath
October 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM
As of a week ago -- with a Soundblaster X-Fi, Behringer headphone amp and Sehnheiser HD 380 Pro closed cans. Love the upgrade :)

Schrute Farms
October 16th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Almost all the time now it's passively; when I'm surfing the web, playing games, or driving.

I did enjoy doing nothing but listening to music through headphones when I did illegal substances, but I don't do that anymore.

Half-Left
October 16th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I like to listen to music while doing my artwork. I actually think it helps me, especially if it's an epic track. :)

cascade9
October 16th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Voted 'both' cause thats what I do. Its rarer for me to just sit and play tracks without anything else going on than I used to, btu I still do it now and agan.

Naturally, I tend to prefer more complex music because of this, though sometimes I listen to instrumental electronic music for a sort of meditative experience.

I've heard some pretty complex electronic music. Depends on what you've heard I spose, and what taste in general you have.

I hate the top 40 crap you mention that plays on top 40 radio. Always have. I do not listen to it, unless I am forced because I am in a store (for example).

+1. But I found a way of dealing with it when I'm forced to listen to that junk, mainly at work. I make up dodgy lyrics and sing along. Keeps a smile on my dial :)

I did enjoy doing nothing but listening to music through headphones when I did illegal substances, but I don't do that anymore.

I still do that. I find that sometimes you can be a bit out of it, playing a track you've played lots before, and hear something you've never heard on that track in the past.

cinnabubbles
October 16th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Both though mostly passively, I don't like silence so a low-volumed Pandora or Rythmn Box does the trick!

SadisticCheeto
October 16th, 2010, 04:16 AM
It's mostly done passively. The only time where I'm only listening to music is when I'm taking the shuttle from one campus of the university I attend to the other, but I'm really just trying to pass the time.

sandyd
October 16th, 2010, 04:16 AM

I loled for 30 seconds

Schrute Farms
October 17th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I still do that. I find that sometimes you can be a bit out of it, playing a track you've played lots before, and hear something you've never heard on that track in the past.

That is so true. Music sounds so amazing in that state of mind.

I wish I could find a job, so I could do that again...

imnotjack
October 17th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I voted actively but I think I misunderstood so I'll explain. I listen in instances like Going to bed. I can listen to the words then. in the car, aside from driving my mind is pretty idle. again I can listen to the words. I also listen to it while working. most of my work is manual labor (which means I'm separated from my Linux :(. ) I guess at that time I'm listening at a more passive level and at the same time I struggle unconsciously to listen to the words. Words mean a lot to me. a song just doesn't feel right if the words are unkind. with some co-workers one day a song was played and it offended my so seriously that I did the one thing I don't usually do, (but this was an exception) I asked if we could change the song and they couldn't understand why I was offended by the words but they only cared about the beat. Not that its bad but..... yeah. Thats a little more than I meant to say but I think it contributed to the conversation. Thanks averyone for the posts, it was fun reading them.

Bye y'all
John
(yes I'm southern)

lisati
October 17th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Most of the time, it's passively for me, but occasionally the MP3 player comes out.

I gave up regularly taking my MP3 player with me when I go somewhere with Mrs Lisati: she has the gift of waiting until I'm listening to a track I particularly like and then trying to engage me in conversation.

BlazeFire247
October 17th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I listen passively, because most of the time I listen while I'm on the computer (since all my music are there). I sometimes find myself to listen actively though, when I like the song.

rogprov
October 17th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I ticked "other" as I NEVER listen to music on a computer or whilst I'm using a computer. I don't like music as wallpaper. I do have a fairly decent collection on vinyl and cd that I listen to on an elderly Hi-Fi in another, computer-less, room :)

BenAshton24
October 17th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I, also, hate the top 40 stuff. Lady GaGa is the personification of everything that is wrong with the world.

That being said I love listening to amateur covers of top 40 songs. :)

I tend to listen to music whilst doing things that require only moderate attention. If I need to focus on something then I prefer silence.

I can't listen to music without doing anything. Mainly because I hate sitting around, doing nothing.

nothingspecial
October 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I gave up regularly taking my MP3 player with me when I go somewhere with Mrs Lisati: she has the gift of waiting until I'm listening to a track I particularly like and then trying to engage me in conversation.

That talent is not exclusive to Mrs Lisati :)

Austin25
October 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I listen so I'm not bored. This can be while I'm working or not.

MisterGaribaldi
October 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM
It totally depends with me.

I don't listen to music with lyrics (that is, "traditional vocal" music) when reading anything of consequence, when studying, when doing abstract reasoning-based homework (math, for instance) because I find it far too distracting.

I will listen to instrumental music, or trance/meditation music, or techno, as long it's not too obnoxious, when I'm reading or doing homework.

As regards sound waves and ear drums and all that... I listen to music with my mind, but I hear it with my ears. ;)

miggols99
October 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Well for me, I like to listen to music when I'm studying to make it more interesting, but I also like to listen to music on it's own. When I'm studying though, I find regular music with vocals is distracting and puts me off, as I start following the lyrics in my head instead of concentrating!